life of yaris auto gear box

hi, have my eye on buying a toyota yaris secondhand with the automatic gearbox.

what milage roughly would these boxes do before they need recon or replacing?

Reply to
ghbt

I would hazard a guess that it depends very much on how it was driven and whether it was maintained well

Reply to
Hirsty's

No direct experience but Toyota have a good quality reputation and the Yaris seems well regarded.

I would imagine that a properly serviced Yaris auto, or indeed almost any modern car, would do at least 100k without any major failures.

Alistair J Murray

It's very difficult to abuse the engine or transmission in an auto. Which is one reason why they're so popular on some local authority vehicles. And many are maintenance free for 'life'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

EVERYTHING is "maintenance free for 'life'"...

Reply to
Adrian

Hmm, on a car the size of a Yaris, it may be a question of whether or not the gearbox is a proper auto or Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) as to how long it will last.

CVTs do not have a reputation for longevity, I don't know whether this reputation (or lack of it) is unfounded or not. Some CVT 'boxes are known to go pop and require replacement or reconditioning at regular

30-40k mile intervals I think, despite regualar maintainence.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I quite fancy a Van with an autobox for the delivery runs I do. I make an awful lot of gearchanges during the course of a day.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It appears the Sprinter is new and exciting over in the states. Their version, badged as a dodge, has the 2.7L engine and an autobox.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

available with autobox and 2.7d engine here too.

Tim S Kemp
[...]

My mum has had 3 CVT Micras, mileages up to 70k, no part throttle, no problems. I've driven them as if they were my own V8 Deutchers and failed to break them :)

A CVT Micra is a good car.

Alistair J Murray

My grandma (peace be upon her) had one for a few years (a CVT Micra that is), I think it's still in the family somewhere. Quite entertaining in a point and squirt sort of way. She didnt get it to do any sort of remarkable mileage so I can't comment on longevity although I have since heard elsewhere that Micras are pretty good in that respect.

A bit revvy at cruising speed and, mostly due to my height, I have never been able to get comfortable in any Micra, so I was never a fan.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

A Sprinter 316CDI Auto would be nice. Also not cheap, and night on impossible to find for sale secondhand, especially around the £7-8k bracket that I'm looking at!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

This would have been cool. Literally, especially with the recent heat wave.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

BAA use 'em at Heathrow. They reckon they cost less in maintenance because the drivers can't ride the clutch and unless you're deliberately putting it in the wrong gear they're hard to thrash.

When Ford release the new Transit with the Duratorq or whatever it's called, there wasn't an auto option for a year or so. Dagenham Motors in Hayes were furious because BAA started buying Mercs - and liked 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Douglas Payne contains these words:

Just before I left, my old firm ordered an auto Merc van as a disabled person's minibus. Not just for for carrying disabled people, but one which wheelchair users could drive themselves. Powered rear doors, remote control lift, full hand controls, the lot.

Dead popular, it is. There's several groups who now don't need an able bodied person to drive 'em around, but it's also very popular with the able bodied drivers because West London side roads are just such hard work in a manual.

Reply to
Guy King

Well I've heard that CVTs in small cars *can* go fukt as early as 30-40k miles, but 50-80k is more normal. So give it another 10k, and budget for a new box. :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Didn't Ford withdraw the CVT option on later Escorts? I know someone who couldn't find a secondhand box anywhere in the country for one, and a re-con was the value of the car. Which was low mileage and in good nick. Apart from being broken, of course. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You obviously havent seen my daughter drive ? :-))

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Reply to
Hirsty's
[...maternal micras...]

Her current one has less than 10k on it, the previous one ~72k when sold (for only £50 less than it had cost 2.5 years and 28k before!).

It drove as well when sold as when bought and indeed felt as tight as it's brand new replacement - good car.

Alistair J Murray
[...]

0-15 is spectacular :)

Great town car, and far from shabby cross country.

My mum's previous L-reg one wore very well and she only sold it because she reckoned getting a brand new one as an end of line bargain was a good idea...

A bit buzzy at M-way speeds but willing; probably better for compact folks true enough :)

Alistair J Murray