Mondeo 1.8 TDi (L) LOW emissions - 0.45! lower acceleration

Fuel 45 M/Gal (mostly motorway) New Fuel Filter (and primer) Compression cheched OK The red line is 4750, the max no load or loaded revs are 4250. There is a delay of about 5 seconds between 4000 and 4250!

I have had extreemly poor acceleration since I bought the car (6 months).

Last week a mobile mechanic informed me that the exhaust was probably blocked, but when I took it to be replaced they said it was ok, although it did have a small (5mm) hole between the boxes that they repaired. (the mechanic was on his own and tested it at idle)

With the exhaust fixed, the acceleration is now just poor, presumable because of the low emissions. I was amazed the difference a small hole made. I thought the hole would decrease the back pressure, and therefore increase the fuel, correct?

It has just passed its MOT and they were suprised it had any acceleration with emissions of 0.45!

I presume that there is a diaphram on the side of the pump, can this have the effects I have described? How can it be tested?

Are there any adjustments I can make to increase the acceleration?

(extreemly low acceleration 0-30 20 seconds low acceleration 0-30 10 seconds)

Reply to
mark_doherty

I had an Escort Popular Plus 1100 like that once...

Are you sure it's not stuck in 4th gear?

Very low emissions sounds like not enough fuel to me - but I'm not really into diesels so what would I know. I had an petrol Astra with a head gasket very slightly gone between two cylinders that showed very low acceleration, but normal running when the engine wasn't being pushed??

Reply to
PC Paul

It Sounds as if the turbo is not operating, there is a small pipe which runs from the pump to the turbo which IIRC corrodes, easy to fix .

Des

Reply to
Des

the emissions test for deisels is basicly for smoke denisity out of the exhaust tailpipe

have you got turbo boost? check the intake piping for splits (normaly above the gearbox-you car't see it but you can feel it)

Reply to
ford_technical_