Ford mondeo 1.8. Zetec

When do I change the timing belt on my Ford mondeo 1.8. Zetec? Can anyone help me?

Reply to
smashing

Every 80,000 miles according to my Handbook. I have a 2.0L Mondeo Zetec. I had it done 4 months ago & the garage F**ked it up & caused some top end damage. They put it right though at their own cost. I used to change my own cambelts on the Ford CVH engine but the new 16 valve Zetecs look to difficult for a DIY mechanic & of course one mistake & its good-bye to your top end. Regards, K.

Reply to
Mr Wonderful

I am just opening my wifes contour with the 2.0 zetec. She said it was hard starting so I did get it to run but the noise coming from the timing belt area was loud and it sounded out of time. took the top cover off ( easy just 2 8mm bolts) and the belt is very loose. I took the midcover off and there is about 2 to 3 inches of play. Looking at the book its a job but if you take your time it should come out ok. With my wifes car you need a tool to alien the cams too TDC. They tell you how to make one. Just alot of shit to do for a timing belt.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

I did the belt on my 2 liter Contour. It wasn't that hard. As to the tool to align the cams, just need a flat piece of metal approc 3/16 thick that fits into the back of the cams (once the cover is off) like a flat blade screwdriver. My idler wheel had broken which caused my belt to become very loose and retard the intake cam timimg. I had to buy a new idler and the spring and bolt that gets mounted to the engine when you install a new cam belt. I didn't have to adjust the exhaust cam but the intake needed few degrees of adjustment. Oh yeah, I had 54,000 miles when that happened, far short of the 80,000-150,000 miles I've heard whent you need to replace your belt.

Reply to
Sans Nom