mondeo problems

HI

This question is the behalf of a friend, he cant get usenet.

This is all i know, hes got the car recently and his girlfriend drives cos he cant.

Can you please reply to his email, as i leave for Germany in the morning for

10 days, so i wont get to see any replies to pass on.

Thanks!!!

Mondeo p reg Mk2 1.8 TD Speedo dont work fuel gauge dont work odemeter and trip dont work all other electrics work.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Checked all fuses no problems.

He knows there are 2 lots of relays.

The car is too modern for me, never owned a car under 20 years old (or a ford)

ta!!!!

(oh im here until the early morning, so if someone can help, they can post here too and i can see whats said, i may learn something. as i dont think the speedo etc is the same problem as the fuel gauge)

Reply to
Jules

I had the same fault on my R: reg (mkii) mondeo. It had an electronic speed (i.e. no cable from the gearbox). The dealer replaced the speedo - all fine. The fuel gauge is controlled by the speedo.

Reply to
xscope

thanks, i have passed that onto him

Now can anyone explain to me how that works, like i said i have never had a modern car, so i have no idea at all ta!

Reply to
Jules

The speedo is controlled by the ECU. There is a sensor that connects to a pinion within the gearbox that does the job a regular cable used to do. It detects a pulse for every RPM of the pinion and sends it to the ECU. The ECU then sends a voltage to the dials to display the correct speed (well, as correct as it'll get). Not sure whether the sender in the tank would send direct to the dials, or if it would go via the ECU. Either way, I'd check both sets of fuses (there are two fuse boxes in a Mondeo - one behind the glove box and one on the nearside of the engine bay), and all earths. It's most likely a related issue.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

thanks, interesting

Reply to