Mondeo Steering 'Noise'

Hi All

Having never had a car with power steering before (i know, the shame) I am curious as to why my Mondeo Mk2 97 R power steering makes a noise when turning whilst the steering wheel is held at full lock (either direction). It dosent seem to make this noise any other time.

The noise sounds a bit like the kind of noise an old water tank would make in your loft when refilling afer use. I know that description is a bit rubbish but it is difficult to describe.

Is this normal or likely to become a problem.

Regards

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Foster

It will do if you hold it there as you will bugger the pump! The noise is fluid that's cavitating in the pump as it's trying to ram the rack into the end stops. Both my Focus and mondeo do.did it on full lock - back off a fraction and it will stop it.

Reply to
Chris Street

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. I have indeed been releasing the wheel back to stop the noise.

Strange though that with all the extras loaded onto cars these days they havent produced a clutch type mecanism that could disengage the pump when excessive stress was being loaded on it!

Regards

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Foster

It's normal. The power steering has a pressure relief valve. Holding the s/wheel at full lock, overloads the pump, as the steering can't move any further. So the pressure relief valve opens, causing the noise you hear. It can safely be ignored when manouvering. The only danger would be in holding it there for some time, and by that I mean several minutes. That would cause the p/s fluid to eventually overheat. Possibly enough to damage seals. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Not quite. The pump has a bypass valve to keep the system within it's designed operating pressure. It's the p/s fluid being forced through this bypass pressure relief valve that you're hearing. Certainly not cavitation of the pump as the pump is 'trying to ram the rack into the end stops'. Any danger from holding it that situation, is from overheating the fluid and thus the seals. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Hoho, queue someone needing to turn at speed and the "steering clutch" kicking in and them going into a wall!

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

The message from "Matthew Foster" contains these words:

Since the pump has to have a relief valve anyway, it would be extra complication - more to go wrong.

Pumps need relief valves because of the bonkers demands we place on them

- highest output when the drive is running slowest. Unless, of course, you're in the habit of parking at full lock at 40mph.

Reply to
Guy King

People that drive straight at walls should know better :)

In any case the steering would still work just not power assisted!!

Regards

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Foster

I think it's a bad idea. People would end up getting killed, and they would be able to point the finger quite easily.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

It could possibly be a slipping drive belt, i think mine was slipping a bit before I replaced it, not 100% sure what sort of noise a slipping belt makes though.

Simon

Reply to
SimonP

message news:...

Usually a squeal. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Wheras at full lock you get a brrrp noise as the pressure relief valve operates.

Reply to
DuncanWood

The message from DuncanWood contains these words:

Or a squishysquashy noise.

Reply to
Guy King