Nissan Almera 1.5 MPG

I have a 2005 Almera, official figures quote 35 mpg rural. Using round Town with short journeys and perhaps an odd 50 miles round trip I am getting about 29mpg Is this average or should I be getting a better return ( I drive normally and not like a mad man) Peter.

Reply to
Peter Coddington

Getting 1.5mpg from your Almera will be tough.

You'll certainly need a new fuel pump...

;)

Alistair J Murray

sounds about average to me

Reply to
mrcheerful

'Official' figures are simply there for comparison between makes. They bear no relation to actual personal driving conditions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Especially not if trying to compare "round town with short journeys and an odd 50mile round trip" with the official extra-urban figures...

In those circumstances, 29 vs 35 sounds fairly reasonable.

Reply to
Adrian

& that doesn't sound far out, I always find Almeiras to be heavier than expected on fuel.
Reply to
Duncanwood

Driving normally quite often means not lifting off unless to brake, constantly accelerating and not maintaining a steady cruising speed. If this is the case then here's most of your answer.

The other side is that it's cold out, for short trips this *kills* petrol engine efficiency.

The donk is also tight. It probably won't be anywhere near run in yet. Get it run in, then the consumption will improve. Drive it hard *once warmed up*.

These and other tips :) are available on my site, but for short haul trips,

29 to the gallon is not a poor showing for a small petrol, mid sized car.
Reply to
DervMan

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

This has got to be the commonest cause of poor mileage, innit. Hear it all time with people who only drive five miles or so at a time.

Reply to
Guy King

I was upset at 42mpg in my diesel due to cold weather, short journeys and leaving it idling while warming and defrosting.

Still, cars are more fun than waiting for a train.

Ben

Reply to
Mr Benny

The message from "Mr Benny" contains these words:

I'm still getting over 45mpg out of my Audi 100 and that's an automatic. Then again it was a 400 mile drive.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for all you replies and help Peter.

Reply to
Peter Coddington