Pug 306 heated washer jets?

Did any model of 306 have heated jets? Failing this, does anyone make aftermarket heated jets?

Reply to
Abo

Abo gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Have a look at all-bar-poverty-spec XMs/605s or top-spec Xants/406s. They certainly used heated jets, and I'm sure that PSA, being PSA, used the same basic jets on damn near everything...

There's two basic approaches to heated washers... Heat the jets, heat the water. Longer washer pipe, wrapped around something warm (rad hose?) in the engine bay.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian, worth checking those out but...

...I might go for an extended water pipe around a hose as you suggest, it may be an quicker and easier mod than finding the heated jets

Reply to
Abo

Doesn't stop the pinholes freezing as well though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I tried this nearly 40 years ago on a Mini I was rallying. Wrapping the pipe around the hose gave insignificant improvement. I then fabricated a sort of miniature heat exchanger, using a short piece of 12mm copper pipe inserted in the heater feed hose, with Kunifer brake pipe wound round the outside.

It worked up to a point, but eventually got too hot, and steam was forced out of the washer jets.

I abandoned the idea after that...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ah... I guess the washer water doesn't get hot enough to overcome the freezing of the washer tips as Duncan mentions :(

I then fabricated a sort of

Lol, that sounds worse than useless!

No Pug/Cit ones on eBay unfortunately. Wonder if Rover 75 ones will bodge on...

Reply to
Abo

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

True. But having unfrozen jets is sod all use if the water in the tank (outside the engine bay, in the wheelarch) or line is frozen...

I forgot to mention earlier that the heated ones on the XM weren't actually that much cop - and would still fail to work on cold days. I never bothered digging around with the multimeter to see if they were actually "on", though.

Plenty of goop in the tank. It's the only way.

Reply to
Adrian

Any Ford with a heated windscreen will have 'em, as do higher spec BMWs, some Volvos, Range Rover Classics (92 onwards SE with HFS again, RR P38a.

They're not that rare really, even my old '89 325i has 'em.

Reply to
Pete M

Ah, it's just there is a set of Rover 75 ones on the bay at the moment ;)

Reply to
Abo

Probably, it's just a bloody washer jet. 12v from the HRW feed somewhere and job done.

Reply to
Pete M