Re: Jump start pack.

I have seen those, but never considered it. Why driving around with

> heavy stuff on the miniscule chance that you will ever need it? And > also need to top up the battery in the pack. I'd rather swap the car > battery as soon as any hint of trouble. (Saab 9000 235,000 miles)

You keep it at home. Mostly, a car will fail to start in the morning. And not every car has a flat battery because the battery is faulty.

Mine gets used mostly for tyre inflation. And as an easily portable 12 volt supply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When the battery died in my jump pack (no compressor), I cut the casing and put in a fiesta battery and added an inverter to the base. Now it will start anything and doubles as a mains source for drills, grinders, hedge trimmers etc. A jump pack is also very useful to keep a car alive while replacing its battery.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Even the smallest car battery is rather larger and heavier than the ones used in a pack like this. And I'm never far enough away from a power point at home to need a portable mains supply. ;-)

I find the compressor very useful. All the garages round here charge for air - and most seem to be broken when I want them too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The original battery did not last many years and a replacement was as much as the whole pack! Yes, it is heavier, but it works far better than a standard cheap jump pack. The silent mains power is often handy if I go to the lock up and need power. I agree, a battery powered compressor is a very handy thing to have, and I have one that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket (should that be aux. power socket now?)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Quite. The whole reason I started this thread. You get a three year money back warranty - provided you keep the receipt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) spake thus:

That, and at home you're inflating them cold.

Reply to
Scion

They're not going to warm up between here and the garage. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I though that was a cigar lighter socket... And I use a small footpump

Reply to
johannes