Repat MOT Failure Handbrake

I took SWMBOs Honda Jazz for an MOT a few weeks ago. Fitted with Rear disks and pads. Handbrake acts on pads.

Car not unexpectedly failed on the Handbrake reported as being totally inop erative - but was sufficient to hold the car on the drive. The handbrake ha d been getting heavy and had taken up plane spotting.

MOT Tester said "That'll be cables"

I think it scored something along the lines of 35 and 24 on the test.

Examination suggested caliper issues, two new (recon) calipers fitted along with pads for good measure. Slides cleaned greased and replaced on one si de.

Handbrake cable is free as a bird and slips freely in the outer without any hint of dragging.

Handbrake set up so the handbrake actuators on the calipers sit on their st ops but there is no slack in the cable and the first hint of movement on th e cable moves the caliper lever. Prior to this I stomped on the brake pedal to push out the pads.

A retest showed only marginal improvements scoring 60-68 on the test - FAIL and the tester repeated his remarks "I still think you have cable issues"

I stripped it again and simply cannot find fault with the cables so I rebui lt it again this time with new disks as the old ones was at the wear limit and i thought the new pads might have issues bedding to them as there is so little brake action at the back.

I also replaced an absolute FUBAR wheel bearing that was not even given an advisory.

I also reset the handbrake cable as above, drove around with the handbrake on a click or two to try and bed the pads in and presented for retest. Scor es in the region of 95 and 86 - FAIL "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH IT? I STILL T HINK IT IS CABLES"

These cars are notorious for poor handbrakes and I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have bought new cables at £55 each + VAT and if anything th ey feel tighter in the outers than the old cables I am loathed to fit them and waste £120 as I cant see how they will help.

The MOT tester wants 120 out of the handbrake and thinks it should pull 150 without a problem.

Finally what are these scores? I have read they are KGs my understanding is that a pass is 16% with advice and 25% for a clear pass. What is this a % of? If it is Axle weight then according to the test rig axle weight is 485k g and thus 16% is 77.6 and 25% is 121 which is pretty much what he wants.

You thoughts are appreciated.

Reply to
Tom

I believe it is percentage of total vehicle weight inc. driver as shown on the tester's weight chart. Your vehicle will weigh around a 1000kg, so for 25 percent efficiency you will need a total of around 250 on the handbrake (120 each side sounds about right.) If the cable outer is springy the brake effort would be reduced.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

isks and pads. Handbrake acts on pads.

inoperative - but was sufficient to hold the car on the drive. The handbrak e had been getting heavy and had taken up plane spotting.

long with pads for good measure. Slides cleaned greased and replaced on on e side.

any hint of dragging.

r stops but there is no slack in the cable and the first hint of movement o n the cable moves the caliper lever. Prior to this I stomped on the brake p edal to push out the pads.

FAIL and the tester repeated his remarks "I still think you have cable issu es"

ebuilt it again this time with new disks as the old ones was at the wear li mit and i thought the new pads might have issues bedding to them as there i s so little brake action at the back.

an advisory.

ake on a click or two to try and bed the pads in and presented for retest. Scores in the region of 95 and 86 - FAIL "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH IT? I STI LL THINK IT IS CABLES"

hat to do next. I have bought new cables at £55 each + VAT and if anythin g they feel tighter in the outers than the old cables I am loathed to fit t hem and waste £120 as I cant see how they will help.

150 without a problem.

g is that a pass is 16% with advice and 25% for a clear pass. What is this a % of? If it is Axle weight then according to the test rig axle weight is

485kg and thus 16% is 77.6 and 25% is 121 which is pretty much what he want s.

Cheers Mr C.

Following some advice I have counter-intuitively slackened off the adjuste r more!! Done some more bedding in work and now the handbrake holds on a 1 in 4 hill and will even stop the car from walking pace on the 1 in 4. It ev en pulled a little skid when i yanked on the handbrake at walking pace so I am more optimistic.

Also decided to try a different MOT place with a tester who is not a weakli ng.

Reply to
thomasburton18