Replacing thermostat

I want to replace the thermostat having never done this job before. Seems quite simple and I have the Haynes manual. Could you give me a run down on how to do it. Seems like you just have to undo a couple of nuts take out the old one and the old gaskets and replace it. In the new thermostat box there are two new gaskets. Do I have to replace these as well. The old ones might be stuck and it says to use a knife to get them off.

When replacing with new gaskets do I have to use some kind sealant to stick them together with? As where the old ones are you can see some gunge sticking out from where it has been replaced before. The Haynes manual does not mention anything about using a sealant. Also it says to redo the nuts to the specified torque. Wont simply tightening them till they are tight do? It does worn to keep the coolant off any drive belts. Does coolant have much effect on belts?

Reply to
Alan Raymond

Remove all traces of old gaskets, sealant etc using a blade & a solvent as necessary, but don't damage the mating surfaces. You should only require one new gasket. How tight is tight? - do not overtighten, or better still, beg, borrow or buy a torque wrench - it could cost you far more if you shear a bolt. Your coolant could have adverse effects on paintwork and possibly drive belts. Just flush the whole area with clean water when you've finished the job and don't forget to top up your coolant with a suitable anti-freeze/water mixture.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

The most obvious point you've missed is that you must put the heater control in the car on to full hot otherwise you get an airlock in the heater matrix.

Reply to
Conor

And make sure the heater controls are on full hot.

Reply to
Conor