Rough Idle

Received an email from a fellow Ka-er with an uneven idle. I reckon it could be the HT leads, but I'm not especially knowledgeable about funky electrics, I prefer glow plugs... :)

Symptons are a reluctance to start from hot (doesn't fire), an uneven idle when switching circuits on and off or moving the steering at very low speeds (says it occasionally struggles and approaches stall). Ka has covered 49K, sparkies changed at the recommended Ford interval (so last at 30K). Next service due at 50K, heh.

Now I'm thinking HT leads, 'cos I believe these start to go a bit funky when underbonnet temperatures are higher (hence the hot starting issues), and can cause some instability when idling.

Am I on the right lines? Like I said, I prefer mooching about with glowplugs and relays than horrid little spark plugs. :)

Reply to
DervMan

I would have said not. Isn't there an idle valve or summat that changes idle speed when the load on the engine increases? I saw something in a recent post but I can't remember the precise wording.

Having said that it can't hurt to change them.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Yes, and the idle control valve can get gummed up, but it tends to hold the revs higher and doesn't influence starting...

Reply to
DervMan

Throttle position sensor - common problem on petrol Focus and I suspect the KA may well use the same part. Worth looking at.

When it refuses to start is it demonstrably not generating sparks?

Reply to
Chris Street

Hmmm, recent experience was low revs - to the point when GF's Ka3 was stalling whilst changing 1-2 whilst entering a busy roundabout. But agreed, doesn't sound like ICV, and at 70 quid to replace new at local factors (carb cleaner worked, but she was adamant she wanted it fixed "properly") then it's not a painless solution.

I remember a bloke who was trying to sell her a Ka in the early days explaining that the sparks need changing frequently (or at least, unscrewing/tightening) to avoid the plugs binding to the head, something to do with getting an amount of spray from the road due to the location, don't know if that's true, but if so would suggest a nice clean / replace of the HT might well help. Dunno, 2 penneth worth, is all.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Not ideal then! :)

Yes. I'm expecting HT lead and ICV problems from Kermit, he's fast approaching 55K and is on the original for both... but nothing yet.

Hmm - it could be the sparkies. Ford suggest a 30,000 mile replacement interval. This in itself is fine, but what happens (as you say) is that the plugs sieze in place. Ford dealerships have a funky way of removing them, though. This Ka has had the spark plugs in for 19K of the 30K so they should be fine.

Reply to
DervMan