Rust on wheel arch of mk4 golf

I was out cleaning the car today, (day off work woohoo) and to my shock and horror on the wheel arch mosto f the way around it on a mk4 golf is rusty spots, paint is cracked. I accidently scarped it on a wall a few years ago. I got it fixed by chips away and looked good as new and couldn't see any damage. .. Till now.

I assume he didn;t do a proper job or something. Tried contacted them but the guy won't come out and look at it as he says no job he has ever done has gone rusty and said good day sir and slammed the phone down.

Called head office to deal with him as it was feckin out of order.

Going with the thought that they will no fix it. How can I sort it out myself. I can spray have a gun, compressor, etc etc. Just never dealt with rust.

SO any advice on what to do first or the order of how to fix this kinda of problem out before my car crumbles into pieces :)

thanks

Reply to
Peter smith

start by sand blasting it to establish if it is only rust under the paint (unlikely) the rust has probably come through from the other side of the arch. The only really long lasting repair will be to cut the arch off and replace it. Otherwise treat with whatever flavour of rust eater you prefer, paint with zinc primer/fill as needed and respray, it will last a few years if done carefully

Reply to
Mrcheerful

CHeck the other side, it may well have cracked the paint on the other side of the panel & rusted through from there. Strip back, paint with cold galvanising paint & then rub down & repaint with primer/undercoat/paint as normal on both sides.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Eh? What? Nobody sandblasts body panels in situ on cars. The normal course of action would be to clean back to bare metal with something like a 3m clean and strip disk, feather back with a DA and then prep for paint...

Reply to
Doki

Only if you want it to return soon ! Professionals do sand blast (or dry ice blast or bead blast) he asked how to make sure it doesn't come back, the only way that works is to sand blast. The job he had done before would have been done much as you describe !! you can use one of those 20 quid spot blasters with very good effect on a job like this. if the rust goes right through then you know you need to get to the other side, if it doesn't then away you go with galvanising primer etc. knowing that it won't bubble up in 6 months.

Yes it is a little longer to do (which is why the bodge it and scarper blokes don't bother)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There's a certain amount of pays your money & takes your choice though, sand blastings quicker burt makes more mess, stripit discs are great for externaL panels but no use in the wheel arch.

Reply to
Duncan Wood