Head Bolts

Hi can anyone help, i am trying to find out the torque settings for the head bolts on my 1.7 diesel vauxhall combo van, it's the isuzu engine Cheers Keith. :)

Reply to
keith

use new bolts stage 1: 40nm stage 2: tighten by a further 60 -75 degrees stage 3: tighten by a further 60 - 75 degrees

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks, Engine is now back together and working fine, thanks for info :)

Reply to
keith

On a similar note, is it necessary to use an angle gauge or, for eg, if a bolt requires a 90 degree turn can you position the ratchet handle at the 12 o'clock position & stop at the 3 o'clock?

Reply to
Redwood

Of course you can, but it can be harder to gauge actual movement particularly at the later stges where you are really hanging on the bar.

The best tip for stretch bolts is that after doing the initial torque down , to mark every bolt head using a paint pen or tippex, then you can see at a glance which bolts you have moved and by how much. I usually try to paint a short line on each bolt's flange washer pointing to the rear of the car.

Reply to
Mrcheerful