SEAT IBIZA wont Rev over 3000rpm

Copied from uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled - maybe u guys might be able to help? :

SEAT IBIZA Mk3 (Year 2000) On some trips my IBIZA kicks back and then after that the car will not rev over 3.000 RPM. Sometimes but rarely it cuts out at junctions as well. After the car kicks back if you try to go over 3.000RPM the car just 'pulls back' but strangely enough if I pull over and turn off the engine and turn it back on again it seems to then reset something and I can rev over 3.000 RPM with no problem - It doesn't do this on every trip though but its annoying when this happens and means the car wont go over 60mph in 5th gear.

I have taken the car into a SEAT Main Dealer here in Ireland who 'Supposedly put it up to a diagnostics machine (I am bit sceptical about garages and did not see it go anywhere near a diagnostics machine).

They told me that it would need a new Throttle body at 650.00 EURO including Fitting!

To me though it feels like its electrical problem, like as I am driving along someone pull a wire from underneath the bonnet causing the car to cut out or even turning off the ignition switch. I am wondering if it could be the feed to the coil or something like that what do you reckon.

Any Ideas would be great,

Thanks,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

try at

JoHurt

You dont mentionw which engine you have, but if it is either the 1.6 or 1.8 then i'm sorry but the fault is with the electronic throttle module (ETM) and replacement (followed by "aligning" it to the ECU) is the only cure.

This is a fairly common fault.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks, I have tried putting it up on there on their forum ages ago, not that much success with an answer though.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Its only a 1.0 Litre Mpi engine fitted to it - I should just take the whole engine out and fit a 3 ltr that would get it going like a rocket! :-)

Andy.

Reply to
Andy