Seat Toledo opinions/info ?

Does anyone here have a toledo ( not the latest one, the one before it ) I saw one on a forecourt at the weekend, and it seems like quite a good secondhand buy. You get loads of gizmos, a VW Engine / Audi style interior , also reasonably cheap to insure and buy, are there any known problems to watch out for on them though?

Woudl the 1.9 TDI SE version ( 108 BHP ) be OK for a lot of motorway miles ? ( my current car is a 306 XND ( 75BHP!) and I'm fed up with it, not to mention the scary overtaking manouvers on the A roads !) Simon

Reply to
mr p

It's basically a Passat, so make sure the electric windows work. Spend ten minutes testing them - really hammering the hell out them and watch the seller's face. They should all open automatically when you hold the central locking open on the driver's door, and shut automatically when you hold it shut. They shouldn't stick open, or close on their own just because they feel like it. Believe me, an apparently minor fault here can be a major PITA when they stick open in the pissing rain and you're

200 miles from home.

Then turn your attention to the outer door handles. Any notchiness, looseness or reluctance to spring back means they're about to stop working. If the child locks are on when that happens, you've just got yourself a van.

Yup, apart from the above, they'll go on for ever. Your back won't though. They have the most uncomfortable seats I've ever suffered.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Rot. Build quality not as good as VW. Alot of bad ones out there.

Reply to
Conor

I meant the later (2002/2003 ) one , I doubt many of them will be rusty, have they got less rust proofing than VW ?

cheers.

Reply to
mr p

"mr p" wrote in news:1139264612.080928.320010 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Perhaps he meant Tommyrot? ;-)

Reply to
Stu

The car is based on a Golf floor pan using VW/Audi engines. The engine is transverse mounted unlike the VW Passat which has a longitudinal arrangement. Other cars in the VW Group that use the same floor pan are the Audi A3, Audi TT, the Skoda Octavia, Seat Toledo, and obviously the VW Golf. I've had an Octavia which was a briliant car and would highly recommend it, my current car is a VW Passat, a good car and bigger than the Octavia but not as good as the Octavia.

Reply to
Ralph Bayley

Bloody hell, I knew mine was a bit of a dog, but are you telling me they didn't even fit the engine the right way round?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It's the right way round for Golf based cars.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp