SEAT Toledo stuck in Park

Hi,

My Toledo SE 20V Auto (2000, W Reg) has started to stick in park. When I depress the brake pedal the light on the console by the transmission lever stays on so I cannot move the lever into drive. After a number of attempts is seems to free itself. I noticed that sometimes when I press the brake pedal, the lever unlock itself, then after about a second it locks up again. I can hear a sort of low clunking sound from the console when this happens.

Does anybody know what might be causing this?

TIA

Bren

Reply to
Bren

faulty brake light switch is a possible cause and the first thing to check, do the brake lights work every time you press the pedal?

Reply to
mrcheerful

I haven't noticed this. I'll check in the morning

Reply to
Bren

They seem to. Its not always easy to check when you are driving. The car has been OK today but I am very wary of putting it into park.

Reply to
Bren

Mr Cheerful is right, sounds like a dickey switch. I'd consider replacing the switch even though it looks like it's ok for now. It's bound to break at the worst possible time isn't it!

Steven

Reply to
Steven

That's what I'm worried about! Any idea how much it would cost?

Reply to
Bren

Same thing went on my Galaxy, cost £9 from Ford (not the cheapest place!!)

Was a right bugger to change - they think everyone has got tiny thin hands!

Reply to
Steven

At a guess probably the brake pedal switch. Are the brake lights working, when you press the pedal (this isn't a fool proof option, as some vehicles have seperate switches for the auto box and brake lights)

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

OK Thanks for your help

Reply to