A6 CV joint Rubber covers

Just had an MOT and my Audi A6 passed ok but the advisory said the rubber covers over the cv joints are split

Can anybody tell me if this is a difficult job to do myself or is it a big bad expensive garage job ?

thanks very much

Reply to
JD

Which A6? It's a bit of a pain on the early ones but no worse than any other FWD. No idea about the later models.

Reply to
Duncanwood
2001 saloon 2.5tdi

cheers

Reply to
JD

PIctorial guide then

Duncanwood

Rubber Gloves?

Reply to
Goatse Man

Go to

and look for "split Boots". Easy, and they work. John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Reply to
jhewitt

The message from snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es contains these words:

They might work for you, but the general opinion is that they're crap and last a few hundred miles at best.

Reply to
Guy King

You jest! , even if you can stick the buggers together properly ( which is virtually impossible on the vehicle) the super glue that holds them is not flexible and will fail before you get to the mot station.

Reply to
Fred

An honest answer? Big bad expensive garage job. Depending on which end of the driveshaft is shot, you have to dismantle the front suspension and pull the shafts out.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Well they definitely split.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Which won't take a garage more than an hour. ItThe bolt in the end of the drive shafts pretty tight & you really ought to replace it but that's about it.

Reply to
Duncanwood