Signum/vectra bust electric mirror

Found my electric mirror has been popped off the mechanism last night. Looks like one of the local chavs decided he couldn't keep his hands to himself, and wanted to check his poxy inbred face in my drivers side mirror.

The glass was tilted as far up as it will go, and is now manual aim only. The motor is still whirring inside when the buttons are pressed, but only moves in one direction occasionally if it catches it right. The working one is fairly firm, wheras the broken one is looser and can be positioned, and does not flop to a resting position.

Will I be able to pop it back onto the whirring mechanism if I open it up, will glue/epoxy putty re-enforcement be required, or a new unit. It is an

03 Signum 2.0 DTI Elegance.

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I had an older Cavalier with the electric mirrors so not too sure how relevant this might be. The mirror had a threaded rod attached via a ball and socket coupling the ball and socket had a pin through it that would stop it rotating but still allow it to swivel. When the motor was running it basically turned an internally threaded drive that would either pull or push the threaded rod through. Hopefully it is just a case that this threaded rod has popped out the socket so maybe with a bit of careful viewing in behind the mirror you will see this and, if it is the same, be able to align the ball and pins with the socket correctly and apply a bit of firm pressure to the mirror and get it to re-attach.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Hatten

Apparently the glass pops out, so I will have a nosey inside tomorrow (if not raining)

Reply to
Bob Smith

Well, there are 2 electric motors that drive 2 bendy rack and pinion type things, that are the same plastic as cable ties. These have been snapped, and are too small to glue or repair in any way. It looks like I will have to buy a new unit, when all I need is the mechanism.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Or a call out to a scrap yard, should be the same unit as the Vectra and there are plenty of them going about so maybe one or two have ended up in there.

Reply to
Ian Hatten

Got one on ebay. Nobody is bidding on the motors (I got mine for the 99p starting bid), but the mirror glass is getting bid up to £20 a time.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Glad you got it fixed cheaply. I had to buy a new glass from Vauxhall for my last Corsa, manual and unheated, and it was quite a bit too. If you are not too fussed about the heating part you can get self adhesive mirror glass from Halfords for a variety of cars. The previous owner of the Corsa had used one but had not taken the old broken one off so it looked unsightly and had not been fitted very well so it would not adjust far enough for me, the Vauxhall one came with the plastic moulded backing and just popped into the existing housing.

Reply to
Ian Hatten

I have something similar before - a plastic mirror sheet you cut with scissors. It came with a 1" wide strip of sticky foam, enough to make 3 strips. 3 strips is not enough to stop the hall of mirrors effect, as it makes a wave shaped mirror - I took it off again, and used a sheet of sticky stuff (like a thick layer of cellotape glue between 2 backing sheets, although a *sheet* of sticky foam would also have worked.) Sticky foam would probably stop the heater element heating the plastic sheet though.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith