Torque wrench

I thought its about time I bought one. Seen some cheapish ones on ebay and some nice digital ones but found a decent spec one at halfords here it is

What do you reckon, worth the money ?

Reply to
Matt

it only goes up to 60nm you might want to get a higher torque.

Reply to
reg

Ahh, hows about this one ?

Matt

Have a look at what torques are specified in the haynes for your car. Wheel studs and the like are going to be high torque, but there's also no enormous need to have them at exactly the right torque - witness the number of people driving around with tyres put on by monkeys with rattle guns and no plague of lost wheels. OTOH, bolts for engine components do need to be at the right torque. I'd go for as expensive a one as you can afford within the range of engine parts, not stuff with enormous torque like wheel bolts...

Reply to
Doki

bearing in mind you'll be looking at approx 100nm for wheel nuts, ive three at work small for rocker covers valve rockers spark plugs ect, medium, head bolts, wheel nuts & a big f*ck off one for hub nuts, peugeot, renault ect as some of these go up to 250nm+

Reply to
reg

I'm a wee hobbyist just loking for a good alrounder. Most likely 'll never use it for more than spark plugs, wheel bolts, brakes (caliper bolts) and such like. Any seriouis mechanical work is left to the garage :) who know what they are doing.

With that in mind would you be kind enough to recommend one ?

Thanks

Reply to
Matt

Buy 2 from ebay, a short Norbar SL0 is good for tight spaces & any 120Nm wrench for the bigger stuff

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You'd be worse off with a bad one than doing it well by hand IMO. Particularly with spark plugs - too easy to get wrong with a crappy torque wrench.

Reply to
Doki

Probably worth getting two to cover the range. I've got one with the range of about 15 - 50nm and another from about 40 - 230nm. I use both extensively, but next time I'd buy the larger one with 250-300nm for drive shaft nut (240nm) and rear hub nut (280nm). Wheel nuts are probably around the 80-100nm range, therefore a 60nm wouldn't suffice, but the larger torque wrenches won't have the range for spark plugs. I find them worth every penny and ensure everything gets put back on to the right spec.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim