Unequal Ride Height

I have a Golf 3 and have been experiencing front end vibration/wheel wobble. Just working my way through the possible causes and checking the front suspension ride height it seems that one side is slightly higher (10 mm) than the other. The spring is not visibly broken but what could be causing this? TIA

Reply to
Sasso

vibration/wheel

the front

higher (10

this?

Depends how you measured it. If from the wheel arch. Maybe the wing is at fault. Has it been damaged and repaired? In any case, I can't see it, on it's own, being responsible for vibration or wheel wobble. More likely to be caused by bearings, balance, or a steering geometry fault. I'd advise having a full tracking and steering check. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The car has been driven one up for the majority of its mileage?

Reply to
DervMan

Was the ground completely flat where you measured the ride height?

If you end up with two opposite wheels on high spots, and the other pair in holes it can make the suspension look very broken...

-- James

Reply to
James

Fat bird in the passenger seat???

Sorry, no offense, my hands just ran away with me :o)

Swap some of the wheels around and see if things change. If they do, get the wheels balanced.

IMO 10mm is nothing to worry about. No car is ever loaded evenly - a tool kit in the boot could make a difference. Also no 2 springs will provide exactly the same support, even if they're the same age. If you had a new tyre on one side and an old one on the other, this would explain half the difference.

Reply to
DP