Used Micra - any common problems to look for?

I'm looking for an older Micra (the last shape, rounded model) worth about £500-£700ish. Are there any problems common to this car, that I should be aware of? I'd like to know what to look for. Thanks.

Reply to
Loner

The older ones tend to rot on the rear arch end of the sills, and they all tend to rot on the main front cross member - easy enough to sort.

They also have a dietary requirement for an new throttle body every so often - you'll soon know when this is shot, as they then run like a bag of s**te.

Do not expect it to return massive MPG - I've had two 1.3s, and they both failed to impress in this respect, even when driven relatively sensibly.

Maybe the 1.0 is better, but the figures on paper do not suggest they will be.

Having said all that, they're great fun to drive, and bar the throttle body issue, tend to be really event free on the repairs front.

Oh, and make sure it's had regular oil changes with quality oil - fail to do this, and the camchain will soon start to rattle, and it's not that cheap a job to do.

Reply to
JackH

Yes I've heard this before...how is that sorted? By plating it? I know very little, as you can tell. Thanks Jack.

Reply to
Loner

Sills, you can normally plate.

The crossmember, I believe most people replace, as it unbolts from the chassis.

May be wrong though, as never got that involved with them.

Reply to
JackH