Why roof rails?

I like the space of an estate car, but why do they all have those ugly roof rails? They just increase the noise level inside the car. I can't see that they are needed in a million years of driving. If they need roof rails, then why are they not fitted to ordinary cars, e.g. hatchbacks which are also designed to carry load? Or are they just a fashion fad?

Reply to
johannes

Its assummed those needing estate cars will be carrying larger items

Reply to
steve robinson

I can't see how they increase the noise inside the car. They go with the airflow, not against it. However, the reason they fit them generally is because modern cars don't have gutters and it's not so easy to fit removable rails to these.

Whether you consider them ugly or not is a question opinion/taste.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

The same assumption could be made for a hatchback car. It is very rare to see the roof racks actually being used. People who carries larger load usually buy a people carrier type these days.

Yes, they are sometimes aerodynamically designed, but it's not perfect. That's why estate cars have slightly larger fuel consumption. And the noise is also present. I wish they could be removed, but the you're left with holes in the roof.

Reply to
johannes

Buy one without then. & you're not left with holes if you remove most of them, you can fit the standard blanks.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

But not many estates are without roof rails. I only know that Saab 9-3 estate doesn't have them.

Hearses don't have roof rails either, one wonders why?

Reply to
johannes

Mondeos, A6s, A4s, 308s, I assume there's others.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Possibly in the UK but most cars now are made for global markets , a set of roof rails is cheap , making them market specific would possibly add to the cost

Reply to
steve robinson

It is more likely the marketing dept. They think that customers wants a certain rugged look to the car. Maybe they do? But I rather would not have them for the benefit of noise reduction.

Reply to
johannes

johannes wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 13:22

I have rails and I regularly carry long loads, eg 2.4m lengths of wood, old mattresses and anything else that needs moving and I can safely secure. Rails are a hell of an improvement on the old gutter clips or round-door- frame clamps. I own 4 Thule cross rails (sometimes 4 are useful with bendy loads like coving) and one Thule flexy-roof-bag thing, which sees use every family holiday and is extremely useful for getting junk out of the car (= happier kids) and avoids the PITA factor of hard roof boxes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Granny on the roof rack...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I doubt you'd actually notice the difference in noise in a modern car. What cars come with and without roof rails that you can try?

Do you actually need an estate or are you just buying it as a fashion item?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

My A6 had 'em. I don't think I've seen a late(ish) A6 without.

Personally, I think roof rails look great on estate cars, and I've never noticed any wind noise from 'em.

Reply to
Pete M

My Xantia estate had them, with a roof rack attachment. They were easily removed and had plates in the channels that sprang back over the holes

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Pete M wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 21:12

The only noise I get is with teh cross bars bolted on - they whistle somewhat. Take 'em off and it's as quiet as any other car (ie all road noise)

Reply to
Tim Watts

They're optional on trim levels below SE

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What do you need a roof rack for?

A 5 pack of 150x20mm x 2.4m fit IN my car. As do 3m lenghts of copper pipe or 10ft wooden curtain poles.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Why do you want to carry something on the roof of your car? It is obviously not ideal as it adds to fuel consumption, makes the car unstable and with the risk that something might fall off.

A friend of mine once carried a table on the roof of an old Golf. When reaching motorway speeds, the Bernoulli effect became so great that the table was sucked off, luckily it didn't hit anyone.

Reply to
johannes

Why do you want to carry something on the roof of your car? It is obviously not ideal as it adds to fuel consumption, makes the car unstable and with the risk that something might fall off.

A friend of mine once carried a table on the roof of an old Golf. When reaching motorway speeds, the Bernoulli effect became so great that the table was sucked off, luckily it didn't hit anyone.

Reply to
johannes

Generally because it doesn't easily fit inside.

Only if you're a muppet.

Reply to
Duncan Wood