01 MPV alternator

Hello,

We just bought a 01 MPV with 48k miles on it (Bought it Fri) Saturday, the car died in the driveway and wouldn't start (dead battery). The battery appeared to be newer, but I thought may be it is just a bad battery. I bought a new one put it in and started right up.

This morning (on the way to Memorial day parade) car died in drive thru @ McDonalds and wouldn't restart... This time had to have it towed because after someone jumped it, it died again.

Got it home checked the charging voltage- there is none! No wonder it was dying- it ran off the battery while driving. It seems that it came right off the dealer lot that way too.

I didn't get a warning light on the dash... Why not? Also, I didn't get my repair manual yet so is it hard to change it out?

I am going back to the dealer on this (at least to cover the cost of the alternator) since on the sticker it indicated that it was good (and here in WI we have pretty stringint remedy laws that a dealer is liable for).

Anything else that could cause the the no charging other than the alternator?

Thanks

Reply to
99trooper

Blown fuse link, Bad control chip (part of instrument cluster electronics assembly, loose connection, etc. Does the alternator light illuminate when the key is in the on position? Actually the dealer may have fried the altenator and or damaged the battery by attempting to charge/quick charge the battery without removing it from the miata or disconnecting it.

Reply to
Chuck

The light comes on (as a check sequence) before I start the vehicle

Reply to
99trooper