clutch fails to disengage

i have a 1991 mazda miata and when i go to start my car and i press in my clutch the clutch doesnt disengage. when i go to start it it starts to start but rolls back as if clutch pedal wasnt pressed in. it is a stage 1 racing clutch. and i just rebuilt the master cylinder just in case that was the problem but it wasnt. any suggestions?

Reply to
bladica

What about the slave cylinder?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

i replaced it when i replaced my clutch could something have happened to it?

Reply to
bladica

"bladica" wrote in news:1158078427.037343.141590 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

How long ago was that?

Reply to
Scott Hughes

i changed it december or january and have put 7000 miles on it

Reply to
bladica

Oh yeah the problem goes away when i bleed the system and make sure theres no air in it but it comes right back. is there a way air is getting in. i am not loosing any fluid but it does get a black residue in it. if theres anything you neet to know to help us figure this out i can tell you just about anything. i do ALL the work on my car.

Reply to
bladica

There is your problem, not doing all the work on your car, the fact that you need to re-bleed the system at all. :-) This is an obvious indication that the problem is related to the system not being sealed.

Does the clutch feel good after bleeding and get progressively worse?

Black residue is common after a while if you don't change the fluid regularly, though the fact that it is showing up after only 7,000 miles would also help indicate that air, (and a little dirt), are getting pulled into the system.

The fact that you are not leaking fluid would have me guess that you have all of the hydraulic lines hooked up correctly and that the problem is probably a defective master or slave cylinder, most likely the master cylinder since the slave cylinder usually leaks when it is not working correctly.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Agreed. I know you just rebuilt the master, but did you hone the cylinder before putting in the new piston? Did a piece of dirt get in and score the cylinder or seal?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

so i need to take it apart and hone the cylinder ?

Reply to
bladica

the piston and seals that i took out where in good shape. i just got in the car and i had to pump the clutch (like 50 times) and then it started fine

Reply to
bladica