EGR Solenoid Valve

After much investigating, testing hoses, wiring, etc., I have concluded that the P0106 (barometric) error code on my '99 must be due to a defective EGR boost solenoid valve that sits atop the passenger side front fender well. The two electrical terminals on the valve test open on my ohmmeter.

I called the dealer, and they get around $100 with tax for that little puppy. Anyone out there know of a more reasonable deal? Nothing on ebay that I could find.

BTW - this in no way affected the drivability of my car. I'm only fixing it so it will pass inspection.

Googling that error code tends to lead you to something called an MAP sensor, but the factory service manual says it's either the EGR boost solenoid valve or the adjacent EGR boost sensor. I couldn't find anything in that manual about an MAP sensor (maybe it's the same).

-Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

See if a wrecking yard in your area has one.

XS11E

I found another dealer that let me have one for $80. Amazing that there's that much difference in price between dealers. Anyway, it fixed the problem. No more P0106 engine code (for the moment), and it easily passed inspection. BTW - North Carolina has recently gone to an inspection system where you no longer have to have a windshield sticker. Inspection results are fed into DMV's computer and you can't get your license plate renewed unless the computer shows your inspection is up to date. It's kinda nice having your entire windshield available for looking through. What a concept!

-Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

I've run into similar price differences. Dealers can set their own prices so, although most will be pretty much the same there's a few who will be high or low. The trick is to find the low ones! ;-)

Arizona has alwasy done that, it's nice not to have a sticker because I really don't much like them, they detract from the looks of the car in my opinion.

Reply to
XS11E