Steering Wheel Compatibility

I'm wondering if an '01 steering wheel can be used on a '99? Will the '99 airbag fit in the '01 wheel? I can't seem to find the answer on miata.net.

Thanks!

-Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

Yes, yes, yes! 99 thru 05 are directly compatible, I'm quite sure. I believe the only differences are looks / logo on the wheel. The NB steering wheel even fits the 90 thru 97 (NA) cars but the airbag connections do not match. Some (more intelligent than I, apparently) believe that they have even grafted the connectors on to make the airbag functional. Now, whether that's ever been put to the test, I'd love to know!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks, Chris! I picked up a pretty wooden wheel off an '01 SE on ebay yesterday. Not sure at all if I'll like it, but I see them so infrequently for sale that I thought I'd give in to my impulse. After I won the auction, though, it occurred to me that it might not fit. Now I'm thinking I'll have to find a late NB airbag, because if I use my original I'll have 2 Nardi logos on the wheel (one at the bottom of the new wheel & one on the older airbag) - something else I didn't think about when I placed the bid. DOH!

-Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

the miata.net compatibility guide says the nb steering wheel does not fit the na... perhaps the wheel itself can be mounted but the horn and, as you mentioned) the airbag doesn't work? can't pass inspection without a horn...the non-working airbag would probably not be notice by inspectors.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Uh, '99 IS an NB - the original NB (unless I've been living in a time warp). :-)

GM

Reply to
Geary Morton

Geary, Christopher was responding to my 'elaboration' about having even seen the NB retrofitted into the NA nicely. Christopher, I didn't mention the horn but, I can't imagine that's a difficult hurdle and yes, the airbag is a much bigger hurdle but one that has reportedly been jumped by ........... some good hurdlers!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo