Mx5 Miata and Satellite Radio

I am about to purchase an "06 Miata and want satellite to work thru the Bose radio. Mazda says it will only work with Sirius but since I already have 2 XM accounts I would like to use XM...anyone know, is there a way to get this done?

Reply to
mowgli

You could use any of the XM2go products, which have built-in FM transmitters. Mine works great in the Miata.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

The best answer for this one is to ask XM. There are plug in modules for several radios. (External Box, goes in trunk or under dash) You might look at a Miata service manual that shows the 06 Bose radio, and see if it uses an external module for Sirius.

GM uses XM, Ford uses Sirius. Many of the Miata radios were made by Panasonic, including the NB Boise radios.

Reply to
Chuck

like the other guys said... but those suggestions require that you have another gizmo mounted to the dash someplace... with a power cord and antenna cord running to it... not very eloquent. and i find the sound quality from the fm radio transmitters to be really poor fidelity. your alternative would be to hard wire the device into the antenna for better fidelity or get an adapter . but your best bet may just be to purchase a completely new cd/radio/xm receiver and replace the existing one. it won't look stock but it will be far more attractive than a xm gizmo stuck to the dashboard and you could get one with a input port on the front for use with an ipod or the like. check out crutchfield.com to see what they offer... but being so new they may not have fit information yet (and if they don't nobody else will).

Reply to
Christopher Muto

The XM2go that I have came with a mount that clips to an air conditioner vent. It has power, antenna, and audio connections on the back -- those wires could all be run into the dash behind the mount, which stays in the car permanently.

Even if your radio does not have an auxilliary input, you can get an adapter for most radios capable of controlling an external CD changer that will connect the XM unit directly, with better fidelity than the FM transmitter solution.

Well, that's an entirely separate issue. We can't all be William Buckley.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

The units I'm referring to plug in to the existing radio, and are tuned via the existing radio. The usual way is to utilize accessory plugs on the rear of the radio. The connections are basically power, audio, and a data buss. The unit has it's own sat antenna, which is usually the fun part of the installation. As far as the Boise radio in my 99 is concerned, it has such poor frequency response that the FM coupling instead of a direct audio connection (It's possible, just to much fooling around) is not an issue.

Reply to
Chuck

Gents, I think he wants the UNIT "inside, hidden, using the Bose SAT" button. That "package" is being sold on Ebay by dealers for $300! It's not XM. If anyone is "e-engineeringggggg" savvvvy, they could do the "board/wire" kit and resell it to us as a "Bose2SAT-pluginto" for the Miata Bose SAT button!

Reply to
TradeMiataUsa4MiataEurope

Thank you! You got it exactly. I hate being forced to use what the manufacturer wants/has made a prior financial arrangement with that excludes the buyer...unless of course they waive the cost of the satellite unit!

Reply to
mowgli

but a completely new cd/radio/xm head unit would pobably cost the same, have better security (removable face), and sound better...

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Because of the Boise, it's not as simple as without one. The amp(s) and speakers get involved.

It can be worse! My wife's 05 impala is a case in point. If you remove the factory radio, you get to buy an electronics module that replaces car related security functions built into the radio dash module. Such things as the built-in XM, cellphone, and on star don't work without the factory radio.

Reply to
Chuck

I always found that the Boise radio has a starchy sound, it is also susceptible to spudding ;-)

You can obta>Because of the Boise, it's not as simple as without one. The amp(s) and

Reply to
M. Cantera

You might look at this device -

would give you a place to plug the output of your Satellite receiver.

Reply to
mickey53usa