Adding CD Player to 2001 E-430?

My 2001 E-430 came with the factory tape player. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to add a CD player to the existing system?

Reply to
RJM

Your car came pre-wired for the CD-changer, the head unit will also control the mercedes CD-changer. If you open the trunk, and look at the left side of it, you'll see the wire/cable. Buy an optical version CD-changer (Built 99 or later), hook it in, and you're set. I don't know how much dealer charge for the CD changer, however, I ususally see it goes on eBay for about $300 (new). All E model are wired for CD-changer. You can not use after-market cd-changer if you want to use the head unit.

Reply to
Con Cac

[...]

I went the following route for my 2001 E320. I bought the MB OEM cd changer from autotoys for around $420, a mounting bracket and an extra cartridge, all for a grand total of $500. Then I found it difficult to install and discovered that even after installation the head unit needed to be reprogrammed by the dealer to recognize the changer.

So I took it to the dealer and they charged $120 labour and $60 parts since they installed it in a box and did not use the mounting kit that I had purchased. So my cd cost me about $680 installed and working. It works quite well

So ask your dealer how much it would cost to to have them do everything; if it is much greater than $680 then you should follow my route and just let the dealer do the install. Most of the people who sell the changer "forget" to mention that the head unit needs reprogramming. If not reprogrammed the cd reliability is flaky, and may not recognixe when a cartridge is loaded.

Cheers, Bob B

C> Your car came pre-wired for the CD-changer, the head unit will also

Reply to
bobb

I've installed two fiber-optic CD decks in late-model cars that didn't have them from the factory. Simply mount the unit, snap in the fiber optic cable, attach the power connector, and it's done. No reprogamming on the ones I had, just pressed the CD button and it started right up. Two years and no problems.

Here's another source

. There are usually some available oneBay as well.

Reply to
rugbyguy

I installed the MB (Alpine) FO changer in my 2002 C320 and had similar results.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

All nations in the developed world have been listening to music from compact disc for twenty years. Almost every car comes with CD. Mercedes-Benz puts a tape deck in cars costing over $50 and then insults the buyer by suggesting a cd changer for even more money. There is a fiber optic changer cable running down the right side of the car into the trunk. If you peel back the trunk liner on the right you will find it. Many car stereo stores sell a changer that connects to this cable for much less than the dealer would charge. These changers can be found online at diccount prices. P.

Reply to
pkmaven

Not easily in the case of the C series. Very few will work on the D2B buss.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Many car stereo shops carry an adapter that allows Panasonic, Pioneer, etc cd changers to work with your cable/head unit. P.

Reply to
pkmaven