Air cleaner ideas for a Mercedillac?

What do you guys like for low-profile air cleaners where hood clearance is an issue? It's on a Chevy 305 with a Holley 4160 in a 1972 Mercedes

280SE. It looks like anything over a 2" filter on a standard assembly will cause the wing nut to rub on the roof. If i go with a dropped base, will the throttle linkage will get in the way? I'd like someone to tell me it won't before i spend the money. Or is there some place online that has a good return policy? What do you guys use?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I've had good luck cutting up stock air cleaners. I make a " tootsie roll " out of clay, put it on the carb body, close hood. Open hood and inspect clay. Take the Carb Air Cleaner Stud out first ! Shoe Box Chevelles [ 64 - 67 ] had a very simple flat, air cleaner. Consider the top from one air cleaner, and the bottom of another. Replace stud with clamps from a foreign car air cleaner [ Toyota ] Use stud to secure bottom to carb, use clamp to seal top to bottom. Hope this helps Paul

Reply to
Paul

You do have the option of having a remote aircleaner like they use in most modern cars. Just a hose from the carb to a box for the air cleaner. Just another idea.

The late 50s M> I've had good luck cutting up stock air cleaners. I make a " tootsie

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

If it were me I'd use two of the 6 cylinder air filters made for that car and plumb them out of the way at the front.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

The twin 6 deal sounds great ! Saw on TV an intake setup where air enters in bottom of front fenders, could ducting be snaked through fender / inner fender ? I can picture a dual snorkel style ' adapter ' with oval shaped tubes connecting it to fenders.

Reply to
Paul

Try the Ram Air box

Here's how I did m> The twin 6 deal sounds great ! Saw on TV an intake setup where

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

How do you get a good seal where the two halves meet?

Reply to
rhinesj