airconditioner polin filter

I have a E240 1999 and had a look at my airconditioner filter and its seems to be ok ,,, but the merc dealer tells me if you cant see threw it in sunlght it needs replacing ,,,,sounds like rubbish to me .. I used my
compressor to blow the dust off and its looks allright,,,, Dont want to buy another at 80.00 dollars when mine is ok ? can anyonw help? You cant see threw mine and I dought you could with a new one.