fuel smell 190e

I have a 1985 190e in imaculate condition and am experiencing a fuel smell in the cabin and trunk, boot can any one help
the vehicle has donr 60000 k and is mech a1 but the fule cap seems to
leak when the tank is full an if i drive it even with half a tank and no leaks from the filler i get a fuel smell from the rear of the car in the trunk
regards
garth
I have an imaculate 1985 190e and am getting a fuel smell in the cabin and from the rear boot, trunk of the car the cap looks good and the filler overflow is fine. i have read threads and looks the caps can leak even though it looks fine. it has a black rubber ring on the ratcheted cap.I have filled the cap with liqud and it does not leak but i would dig some feedback here.
The smell seems to be in the rear though. isn't the filler fitted with a slop mechanism or does the fuel really come up that far when cornering?
Thanks guys please post soon.
Try looking into the fuel pump fitting/piping it may be leaking.pls let me know if that is the problem.
joey
I had the same problem in my 89 190e and I solved it by replacing the gas cap. If you have the problem mostly when you fill up, that will fix it. If the problem is constant regardless of fuel tank level, then I have no clue where to start. Mark

Had the same problem on my '75 450sl. It had the wrong gas cap. The new one from the dealer was $4.95. I can hardly believe that was all it cost to fix it after all the hoses and and stuff we replaced.
Joe