good usenet host?

Anybody know of a good usenet server that I can use within Outlook Express? I use news.individual.net but now they want to start charging. Thanks, Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

offers NNTP server access for a one-time $3.95 charge. There is a limit of 50MB/day of downloads. This is more than adequate for text-based NG's.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Reply to
marlinspike

Can't you do remote dial-up with college? Isn't it free?

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
marlinspike

You realize that REMOTE DIAL-UP internet access is a geriatric memory!.....

Holy crap!....

I guess there is a whole new generation of broadband kids behind us...

Damn!... I still FEEL cool!.....

Oh well....

FYI, remote dial-up access uses a MODEM and a PHONE LINE (1876 copper wire technology) to connect to the internet... And when I was a kid, we used to walk seven miles through the snow, uphill both ways, to dial up to the internet.... :-)

I remember back in 1998, when my son was 5 years old, and he asked me what I liked to do when I was young. I told him I liked to listen to records...

"Wow!" he said "What's a record?..."

After I told him what they were, I said that I bought the records with money I earned pumping gas at the Exxon station...

He just started laughing his head off...

He couldn't believe that any> What's remote dial up?

Reply to
Paul Valois

I have what is generously called broadband here in the UK (nominal 576 Kbps, actual maybe 400).

Even though it is 'always on' (until I disconnect for the night) it is still, technically, dial-up. As it is ADSL I use a modem and connect to a phone line.

Higher speeds are available but it's still ADSL... (My ISP is rolling out a programme of free speed increases and by the summer I expect to have a nominal doubling.)

Thus, if someone used my computer to connect to his/her system it would be remote dial-up, would it not?

The word "dial-up" hasn't quite gone the way of 78 rpm records yet...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Actually ADSL, or "DSL" for short, is a digital connection so there is no "dialing". There is handshaking between your DSL modem and the host, but it's not anything like dial-up where there are carrier bands that have to be matched. Also, it is technically not a "MODEM" because there is no modulating/demodulating where a digital stream is turned into an analog signal within the audio spectrum. Finally, you shouldn't have to turn it off (unless you are billed by connection time vs. monthly). Mine stays on all the time. Maybe once a year I have to reset it and my router, but otherwise, it's always ready for whatever computer I fire up on the network.

- RODNEY

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Reply to
marlinspike

I agree that technically it is not dial-up in the analogue style etc.

In fact it is Asymetric DSL as the upload speed is half the download.

I turn my connection off because I turn my computer off (and there isn't a network).

Even Windows XP needs a good, regular reboot :-(

Plus an off computer cannot be attacked by viruses....

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Really? They told me there is no way. Well...it's pretty typical actually. This school's motto could be "the bureaucracy has spoken"

Reply to
marlinspike

Don't say "usenet"...

Tell them you want to access newsgroups...

And if they give you the run around, hang tough....

Good luck!

marl>

Reply to
Paul Valois

You should be able to use the server from your home ISP from college.

Just configure your NNTP client with the ISP's NNTP info and your home authentication info.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

ADSL is not dial up. There is no dialing or carrier tone, and the data isn't transferred over the same frequencies as your voice calls. That's why you can use the voice phone at the same time.

MODEM is a generic term. Phone modem is just one form of this equipment. Cable modems and ADSL modems are different but use the same theory.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Actually, that's rarely true. When connected to The Internet through an alternate route (i.e. at work, school, or a hotel), most ISP's will still allow access to their POP server so you can read e-mail, a few will let you send through their SMTP sever (usually only if you login), but very few (and none I know of offhand) will allow NNTP access. Basically, they restrict their NNTP access to only allow connection from within their own IP subnets.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

That isn't my experience at all. Since NNTP requires authentication, it's not like random people can use it. My last three ISP's all allow access from outside connections...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Really? I've used Earthlink, Charter and Bellsouth, none of which would allow access to their NNTP servers unless you had an IP address assigned by them, respectively. I once even requested this from Earthlink so I could have Usenet access on the road either through a hotel broadband or 3G wireless cellular connection. They told me I could, as long as I was connected via an Earthlink *dial-up* connection. Of course that sort of defeats my purpose of always selecting a hotel with broadband access. I signed-up with Giganews and now I don't have any problems.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

I can't access usenet either when I am on the road and I wasn't offered a solution when I asked.

I can't say I am unha;;y about it, as I spend enough time in NGs already... :-)

However, I can get into my e-mail, either for downloading or accessing via the web.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

NNTP servers do not require user/pass authentication, if that's what you mean. Some use that, some use IP, etc.

When away from home on dialup or whatever I set up a SSH tunnel and forward the NNTP traffic through that.

Or read groups.google.com.

Reply to
Frater Mus

Also, it is technically not a "MODEM" because there is no modulating/demodulating where a digital stream is turned into an analog

signal within the audio spectrum.

It sure is a modem, because the bits are in fact modulated/demodulated, to get them across the line. The two main ways of doing this are DMT and QAM. A lot of time and effort has been spent on these techniques to get the highest reliable bit rates possible through the two wire pair.

Reply to
trader4