Comcast Dropping Usenet

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Reply to
nospam

Are you able to post through Google?

Reply to
Kruse

Yes, you can search, read and post via Google... might be a little more hassle, but not all that bad, and it's free.

Many people now use Google as their only access to the newsgroups.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Again... Go to motzarella.org and get yourself set up with a free newsgroup account. You don't have to miss a thing, and it will work just as well as Comcast with your Outlook Express.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Actually, it *is* all that bad. There's plenty of other alternatives.

Reply to
WindsorFo

You ought to drop a note to the idiots in Albany.

Reply to
FanJet

Time Warner did the same thing. I told their door-to-door rep that as a result, I would never open an account with them. Also emailed the CEO to let them know they lost a potential customer.

Reply to
Kenneth Zinger

I use news.motzarella.org when embarq drobbed their news server and it works well.

Reply to
Mark M

Thanks for the link. What is the Outgoing Server SMTP setting for this server? I didn't see it listed anywhere.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Just use your ISP's SMTP server (same as for email)

Reply to
Starscream

SMTP is outgoing email. You'd use whatever SMTP you have been like smtp.erols.com. The only time the SMTP will be used is if you reply to all or reply to sender only instead of reply to group.

Reply to
WindsorFo

You have to setup an account/password, and login.

Reply to
nospam

"William Tell" wrote

Did you register?

---- I can only see the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.*

.. These hierarchies are open for reading and posting without registration. You have .. either forgotten to configure your client to use your username and password or the .. client does not send the user data, as it assumes they are not required.

Did you set Outlook to use authentication, and "refresh " the full list of groups?

---- I have now set up my news client to use authentication and I still don't see all newsgroups

.. Motzarella allows posting to a limited number of groups, without authentication.

.. When the news reader first connects, it gets a list of groups it is allowed to .. see/post to. From this point on, the news readers only asks for a list of new .. groups, when it connects.

.. Once you set the news reader to always authenticate, and give it the correct .. username/password, the rest of the groups will be allowed, but as they are not .. new groups from the server's point of view, they will not be listed in the list of .. "new groups". The only way to get the rest of the groups, is to force the news .. reader to get the full list of groups again, after the authentication has been setup.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

I tried to use Motzarella, but the only newsgroups that show up on the list in my Outlook, are the 12 that are also listed at their site (motzarella and posenet groups....info, grouprequests, new users, etc.)

Reply to
William Tell

Yes, I did that before I ever opened the account in Outlook. Do you mean that I have to be logged into the website at the same time I have Outlook open?

Reply to
William Tell

I figured out the problem. Thanks for the help. I had the "secure authentication" box checkmarked and it was keeping me from downloading the group list. After unchecking it, Outlook was able to connect.

Reply to
William Tell

HAH! AIOE requires no such set up. :-p

Reply to
WindsorFo

It's no big deal. It's a very simple Level One registration. Serves only to keep out the automatons and ensure that the registrant is a human-type user.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Thanks!