Half empty fuel filter 240d

The engine acts like it is not getting fuel. I removed the main filte and found it wasn't full. Changed the plastic filter too. Won't start now. Is the fuel pump gone?
Chris
Did you prime the fuel system with the hand pump? It's a tube that sticks up (at you) and has a small black plastic top which unscrews. Wear a glove unscrew the top and pump a bit. The idea is to expel air from the fuel system - send it back to the fuel tank.
Incidently, if it comes to the fuel pump, it's what the hand primer is screwed into.
Yes, I did. I wondered if there is a feed pump that supplies the injector pump.
Chris

The engine's fuel supply, not injector, pump is at the base of the hand primer pump.
Since you can prime the system the fuel system - tank, pick-up screen etc. - must be OK so there are two possibilities: an air leak into the fuel system's suction side (probably at a hose connection) or the engine's fuel pump is suspect and ought to be checked for output. The reason to be sure the pump has failed before removing it is that a Fuel Pump (p/n 07-159) costs $248 at Performanceproducts.com
An additional thought: Open the oil filler cap and look at the cam to be sure it turns when the engine is cranked - if not a broken timing chain is the cause.
I'll look into the fuel pump.
Thanks

TG
The part on the performance site isn't familiar. I thought it would be mechaincal. Is it located near the fuel tank?
Chris

Again, the engine's fuel supply, not injector, pump is at the base of the hand primer pump.