instrument cluster removal

Does anyone know how to remove the instrument cluster on a 1983 300sd? I want to see if the gear that controls the odometer is broken. Thanks for the
help!!!!
There are special tools for it but there just basically hard rod with a tight small bend at the end that you put on both sides of the cluster and pull it out.
Or you can make your own with a regular wire coat hanger... bend a hook on one end... about 1/2"... and make a handle on the other side so you can pull.
Insert on the side between the cluster and the dash... it will go in... about 1.5" from the bottom (on the side) and insert it... then rotate it 90 degree and pull out. Repeat on the other side.
Make sure the hook has no sharp edge to ruiin your dash.

Here ya go, cluster removal in my 83 300SD.
    http://articles.mbz.org/instrument /