Loose shifter in W124 Automatic

All,
Last week, I started noticing quite a bit of fore/aft play in my shift lever, accompanied by loud clicking (heard from outside the car) when moving the lever.
Now, I assume this would be a linkage problem, but not sure if something would've come loose, or if I have some bad bushing(s). I have searched the group and found some info on 190E's, but wasn't sure if it would be the same major undertaking for the 300E as it would be for the 190E.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Thom 1989 300E , 246,000 miles
The bushings when they get old, crack and fall out causing the play in the shift lever. There are two nylon bushings. The lower on is pretty easy to replace. The upper one is more difficult. I only replaced the lower one on my 190E 2.6 and decided I could live with the play caused by the missing upper bushing. If any one has any ideas how to get to the upper bushing on the 2.6 190E I sure would like the advice. Peter

Thom wrote:

The bushing is indeed the culprit. I found the easiest thing to do was literally to remove the gear shift out of the car. Once you remove the walnut trim, 4 bolts secure the shifter. After removing the clevis that connects the gearshift to the actuator under the car, the gearshift comes straight up and out. . Some folks can get the replacement bushing pressed in cleanly from underneath the car without pulling the gearshift. My fat fingers just couldn't see fit to do that. Good luck either way and let us know how it goes. JB 88 300E 99 E55