Old Becker radio information

Hello all, I am about to remove the original Becker radio from my '79 w116 300sd. I really like the feature that controls to antenna, allowing a partial or a full
extention (or none at all) when the radio is turned on through the use of the switch on the dash. I need to know if I can route the antenna lead from the replacement stereo head unit, though the switch and have it work like original. If anyone knows the actual color of the wire so I don't have to dig too far up into the dash that would be nice.
Thanks for any information!
Bernard

It is a question of the type of power antenna you have. Today they sell fully automatic antennas, which are controlled by a single 12 volt line. If you switch on the current, the antenna comes out entirely. If you switch off the current, the antenna collapses entirely. Most contemporary car stereos have a contact for this. As soon as you switch on the unit, the contact gets 12 volt current and the antenna goes up. Some decades ago you could also buy semi-automatic power antennas, which had a switch for manually move them up or down. I have an automatic antenna in my car, but I have installed an additional switch in the control line between antenna and car stereo. So I can retract the antenna even if the radio is switched on, for example when I want to listen to CD or if the car is in the car wash. The antenna will retract anyway as soon as I switch off the radio.
I do not see any purpose in having the antenna stopped halfways. It is my understanding that the length of the antenna is adjusted for best reading possible.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

I have my antenna always stop at half height, as the mast will get bent with continuous high speed driving at full height.

I have the original factory antenna, unbeleivable as it sounds. My car was taken care of by a single owner who serviced it at the dealer, so when I got it from his son (upon his inability to drive anymore) it was pretty much completely stock, radio antenna no upgrades no changes.
The factory antenna and radio are hooked to a switch on the dash, the switch has three settings, one allows full travel of the antenna (when radio is switched on) one position allows travel half way up, the other position keeps the antenna down when the radio is on. (pehaps for playing tapes)
I like this feature, for whatever reason, and want to keep it when I take out my (now defunct) factory Becker radio.
Bernard
The antenna "up" signal that comes from the radio is a single blue wire. It is the only factory blue wire going to the radio. It will have a black sheath on it.

Thank you, that is exactly what I need to know.
Bernard
The best place I know for information and all the connectors and adapters you will need is: http://www.crutchfield.com /
they are very good with instructional information for any make of car... they fixed me with my 1990 300SEL and my 1994 Pathfinder.. verything worked
message

Remove radio. Check to see if there is any info "a decal" about the electrical conections on the radio. If so check the plug and you can see which wire it is. You will need a wiring diagram for your car to figure how to make the anteni work the way you want. You could set up a switch separate from the new radio so you can manually switch the antenni position. See Chilton manuels. Good luck.
"mdsimon80" wrote: > Remove radio. Check to see if there is any info "a decal" > about the > electrical conections on the radio. If so check the plug and > you can > see which wire it is. You will need a wiring diagram for your > car to > figure how to make the anteni work the way you want. You could > set up a > switch separate from the new radio so you can manually switch > the > antenni position. See Chilton manuels. > Good luck.
was working on the climate control and removed glove box, lower panel, and panel below that, was a box that had speaker wire clipped off with no powet hooked up but had spot, sticker was in german and could not understand but was loaded with small resitors and transitors. radio was replaced and would like to share box with anyone who might need it let me know bcurtis 1980 300sd 142,000 1980 300sd 284,000