Why do the new SLs have such patchy reliability?

Page 3 of 3

Just made a brief research in mobile.de. I looked for the following cars:
1. Chrysler Stratus cabrio (obviously the car was not sold under the name Sebring here ), registration from 1998 until 2001, engine power output 151-200 HP.
2. Mercedes CLK cabrio, registration from 1998 until 2001, engine power output 151-200 HP.
I found 70 offers for Chryslers and 384 offers for Mercedes. Prices vary of course, but you can get many Chryslers for 9.000-11.000 Euro, they are from 1998, fully equipped with the 2.5 Litre engine with 163 HP and have some 120.000 km on the clock. Comparable Mercedes CLK 230 cost 16.000-18.000 Euro, the difference is enough to buy an used C-class for the winter;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
And for new cars I looked up Chrysler.de (can't get them in the UK -- very odd as the UK must be Europe's biggest convertible market and Chrysler sells plenty of Jeeps and Grand Voyagers).
(By the way, I discovered, surprise, surprise, a convertible version of the Crossfire...)
Another surprise: the Sebring starts with a 2 litre engine. In the US it starts at 2.4 litres (chrysler.com), which I knew about.
The 2.0 starts at about EUR 29 500 incl 16% VAT.
The 2.7 (203 HP) starts at about EUR 35K incl 16% VAT.
The CLK Cab 240 (170 HP, actually a 2.6-l, stupid MB nomenclature) starts at EUR 45 000 incl 16% VAT.
I have not analysed what you get for your money but it seems that DC is aiming at brand/price differentiation as the CLK Cab 200 starts at the much higher EUR 42K incl tax.
So yes, I agree that price is a factor after all, something I had not fully realised.
I still think that the Sebring Cab is only worth it at US prices. Maybe if they brought out an updated version at similar (European) prices I might change my opinion. The roof mechanism was the obvious, immediate difference: two locks when up and old-fashioned stowage of roof when down.
DAS