GRP Front ends

Brilliant. I've always wanted to "loose" the wires like that.

Reply to
Bad Apple

Right! I am off to weigh it and prove you wrong, My drivetrain is 181kg which we all know is far lighter than 400lbs!

And just because it's got an MOT doesn't mean that it is safe......... :-)))))

.....I think that's all to do with the Nut holding the steering wheel.........

Have a good weekend!

Reply to
miniman

That is why they make roll bar padding. see any race supply shop. dave theen racer

Reply to
Dave Theen

That is why they make roll bar padding. see any race supply shop. dave theen racer

Reply to
Dave Theen

That is why they make roll bar padding. see any race supply shop. dave theen racer

Reply to
Dave Theen

That is why they make roll bar padding. see any race supply shop. dave theen racer

Reply to
Dave Theen

With all due respect Dave, roll bar padding is to keep the bar from cracking your helmet not your head.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

What about going all out crazy and fitting bucket seats and five point harnesses? I don't think your head would be able to hit anything if you were strapped down with all that lot on!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Exactly, the padding is for the helmet and not for the naked head.

Reply to
Bad Apple

I already did the race harness but having a tough time finding bucket seat that will bolt into the Moke direct.

I wish I had better welding skills.

Reply to
Bad Apple

I'm starting to think this is my personal pet peeve thread... ;^)

Most people I know who have 4 or 5 point harnesses on street cars refuse to keep them properly tightened because it's uncomfortable. Just like the folks who slip the shoulder belt behind them on a 3 point seat belt.

Another consideration is that you really need a cross bar behind the seats to attach the top straps of the harness. Running an extra 3 feet of webbing to the rear parcel shelf adds considerable stretch to the harness. In a front end crash with a 3 point seat belt, your chest moving forward tightens the lap belt pulling your hips down and to the rear of the seat. This helps move your head away from the windscreen by moving the pivot point of your body. Stretch is less of a factor due to the geometry. With 4 or 5 point belts every bit of stretch or slack moves your head closer to the windscreen.

Having side bolsters in a seat will help a little to prevent head impact with the roll cage. Often though, your head is only an inch or two from the top bar of the cage. I think it's doubtful it would help much in even a modest impact. Check how far your head is from the top rail above the door and then measure in about 2 inches. This should be the cage bar position

My brain is my second favorite organ so I think this stuff is pretty important.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

Come on Kelly, If you give someone the safest car in the world and they don't manage to do a simple thing like tighten up their harness or fit their seat belt properly then they probably deserve whats coming to them!

Do you have problems in the US with people slipping the shoulder restraint behind them? that sounds rather bizarre as I have never seen anyone in the UK do that!

I must say that five points do have their problems like not being to reach the headlamp switches(extensions required!), radio, passenger window winder, glovebox, CDs on the floor, mobile under the seat, ashtray, babies in the back seats........... Sounds great! loads of extra mental energy stored ready to help you avoid crashing in the first place because you were distracted!

Reply to
miniman

Can I hazard a guess that your heart is your primary favorite organ then?

Reply to
Bad Apple

I have NEVER seen someone wear there belt in such fashion in SoCal. Granted I have seen more stupider things done behind the wheel but this belt thing is not one of them

Reply to
Bad Apple

My point is that people do things that they think make a car safer, roll cage, 5 point harnesses, which actually make them less safe when they're driven on the street.

A shoulder belt slipped behind is hard to see and is probably more common than you would suspect. A couple of years ago the state of Washington, where I live, finally put into effect a law requiring drivers to use seatbelts. Better late than never, right. There were a surprising number of people trying to get around it by slipping the shoulder belt behind them. There were several on the local news arguing that they didn't deserve the ticket they received since they technically had a seat belt on. I'm truly amazed at the lengths people will go to trading comfort for safety. There are also those that argue that they don't need seat belts since they have air bags.

I discovered a long time ago that when someone decides to make a turn from a side street into the front of your car there isn't much you can do about it. I got hit head on by a Jeep Cherokee in my Mini. My foot was moving toward the brake but I still don't know if it ever got there. Avoiding distractions while driving is all important but sometimes there's no avoiding an accident. Just for reference the front of a Mini is extremely strong.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

Exactly!

Except that many people who fit that kind of stuff in a road car don't do it to make the car safer, they do it to look "cool". Safety is boring old fart stuff. So you see harnesses adjusted with the buckle over the belly button, straps over the shoulder but not plugged in, cage held together with bolts 3 inches too long, pointing inwards.

Lock

Reply to
Lock Horsburgh

"buckle over the belly button"

Educate me please on what is wrong with that, and the proper way to use it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bad Apple

Reply to
Dave Theen

You have to secure your hips.

Reply to
Rob

So wear the lower belt as low as possible. Got it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bad Apple