1989 Eagle summit 1.5 L engine

I have a 1989 Eagle Summit with 45000 miles on it that was owned by my mother-in-law and she only occasionally drove it short distances. It had old gas in it that had largely turned to varnish and we had the entire fuel system cleaned out. The engine runs like a top and has plenty of zip when driving, also it starts immediately after sitting out all night in 5 degree weather, runs up to fast idle as it should during warmup. Once warm though, when the car is not in gear, it will stall almost immediately. It's fine as long as it's in gear, no problems while actually driving it, but as soon as we park it and take it out of gear, off it goes. It will restart immediately if we need it to but I would certainly like to solve the problem. Hope it's not the ECU or something like that.

Reply to
PhilKB

mother-in-law and she only occasionally drove it short distances. It had old gas in it that had largely turned to varnish and we had the entire fuel system cleaned out.

Did you have the injectors cleaned too? How about the throttle body interior? Could just be as simple as adjusting the air idle mixture. Ther's a screw on the throttle body. May be under a plastic plug about 10mm in diameter.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

As soon as our weather warms up more here I can check that out. As far as I know, the injectors were cleaned. Do you know if that engine uses an Idle Air Control motor? You mentioned a screw for idle air and that makes me wonder. With some time and patience, it's possible to get it to idle without being in gear, and when it does, it's smooth as glass and no tendency to stall from that point on. Strange. It's as if the idle air control, however it works, can't get to a stable condition before the engine stalls, or perhaps when it goes to a setting that should be proper for no-load idling, that all the air may be cut off instead of allowing a small amount through. I've been wondering if the IAC could be gummed up, if that's possible.

Reply to
PhilKB