2003 MISTUBISHI MONTERO SPORT XLS DEFECT - STUCK OWNER

I am in Florida USA:

I bought in Jan 2004 a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero with 29k miles on it. The first Lease holder of his car was DOLLAR RENT A CAR. The car has a constant problem of pulling to the right and went back to the dealer

3-4 times to rectify the problem. After numerous tire rotations and alignments the mechanic came to the conclusion the Yokohama Tires were to blame at around 30k miles or so. On boards like this I heard from other Montero owners around the world that had the same problem and they confirmed the pull vanished when the Yokohama Geolander tires were changed. I just changed the tires and the problem is still there. I then went back to the dealer and told them the problem was still there and they told me they could now do nothing because the warranty expired at 35k miles. The car has 45k miles. They said I would have to plea my case to Mitsubishi and they no longer own the local franchise. When I bought this car in Jan 04 this company owned the Mitsubishi franchise in town and was always led to believe when I brought the car in for service I was getting factory parts and service. I contacted the new dealer and he ran my VIN number and the factory records still show DOLLAR RENT A CAR as the owner of the car and that it had never been brought into Mitsubishi for service in it's life. He said because the warranty had now expired I was stuck. Is there anything I can do?
Reply to
atlantic965

You have two options: a) if you don't want to keep the car, and you have written documentation from the dealer / lease company that the car "was serviced by Mitsubishi", take these twerps to court for misrepresentation (fraud).

or

b) if you otherwise like the car, get the lease holder information corrected, find another dealer, have the car checked for any residual warranty repairs, wheel alignment and (minor) crash damage.

So, you are left with the problem of pulling to the right. Bear in mind, as a rental vehicle, you must assume its been treated harder than a non-rental. Such as bashing through all the pot holes at the side of the road. Let's go back to first principles: since the tires are new, what else can cause a pulling effect?

a) wheel caster and camber differences side to side ... but I'd guess this has been checked. b) front suspension bushes have lost their stiffness. After only 18 months this unusual, but if the car has been abused, not unexpected. Bushes lose their effectiveness within three years. One result can be the static alignment is OK, but under driving loads, they deflect causing wheel misalignment and hence pulling. The inner rear lower arm bush is the one that takes the most load. c) RHS front inner CV is binding. Unusual after only 40K, but not uncommon. Have the new dealer check for wear: this generally requires taking it out and manually moving axle in rotation and translation to do it properly. Some time back I had to almost force a garage to humour me and swap a drive shaft. The only evidence of wear was a slight binding in the in-out (translation) movement. Garage swore there was nothing wrong, but the pulling disappeared. d) dragging brake caliper and / or warped rotors. Is the RHS hotter than the LHS?

I'd require the new dealer to replace all the RHS front bushes to start with. Try for both sides, because both sides have done the same milage.

regards, Stewart DIBBS

======================================== Want to build your own scanner and digicam apps? PiXCL 6.0 is affordable and available now !
Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA ========================================

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I was under the impression that since a problem was notified before the expiry, and it has not been resolved, then you still have a warranty claim. Check with Mitsubishi.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I spoke with the new dealer and the area Mitsubishi customer service man, they ran my VIN through their computer and said since the car was delivered to DOLLAR RENT A CAR it has never been back to them for service. They say I should bring the car to them and let them do an ALIGNMENT and they want ME to pay $69. I do not think this is the problem as this pull is being reported by Montero owners all over the world. I contacted the old Mistubishi dealer I bought and left a message to the Service Manager who is familiar with my problem. I think they are partly to blame. They told me I could always bring that car back to them because the new dealer is so far away.

Reply to
atlantic965

Reply to
Log