montero sport antenna

I need to know how to change the antenna on a 2001 montero sport. The power one went bad and the dealer wants $200 to fix it, even though it is under warrenty. They say it is my fault. I can get the new antenna but do not know how to get to the spot.

Reply to
thor

Your problem isn't that the antenna is bad, it's just the plastic antenna probably broke (very cheap). You can buy one of these (and have schematics printed) at any Mitsu parts dept. I think a new power antenna was $20 or something.

I had the same trouble with my 99' xls, but I opted to fix it myself (as I did with all other limited problems). You'll need to get it on a lift or a stable jack to give you more room in the front passenger side wheel well. Before you attempt to disconnect the antenna you must unscrew the top cap (not difficult). First, undue the plastic wheel well coving enough so you can reach above the wheel. Inside you'll see the antenna assembly (and probably the broken plastic strip. I found reinstalling this fairly intuitive and the hardest part was working with the plastic wheel well (the trick is to work with someone else). Once you remove the old antenna, you'll have to put the new antenna and it's plastic coiled strap piece into the hole and connect it (from the wheel well) to the antenna assembly drive wheel. Once you get it connected, turn the car on and it'll automatically raise up. Turn it off and it'll retract, giving you the chance to screw the cap back on then rebuttoning the wheel well. They use cheap plastic rivets, but I drove that car for 60,000 and never had trouble after I worked on it.

It's been 3 years so I'm a little cloudy on the details, but I'm no mechanic and I got it working fine.

Good luck, and if you have other questions try me back here and I'll email you.

Reply to
flyboyfriday