97 galant: radio shuts off, engine hesitates, radio turns back on

I have a 97 Galant, Auto, 110K miles. While driving, the radio sometimes shuts off, then the car hesitates, sputters, then the radio truns back on and the engine runs fine. Sometimes the car stalls after the radio shuts down. I got a tune-up. The car runs great. But the hesitation and the stalling seems a bit scary since it occurs while driving. Any thoughts? I searched this groups and didn't find anyone with a similar problem Hope you can help.

Reply to
shawnk212

On 21 Mar 2006 18:26:49 -0800, against all advice, something compelled " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" , to say:

Has it done this since the tune up?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Yes, I got a tune up 2 days ago. I thought that would help. But the radio shuts down and the engine hesitates and sometimes stalls. When it does not stall, the radio eventually turns back on after a few seconds and the engine regains full power. I heard this is a sign that my alternator may be starting to fail. But the alternator checks out ok. Perhaps I'll change the alternator anyway.

Steve Daniels a scris:

Reply to
shawnk212

Does the dome light go out too? I know you most likely don't know that, but worth a try. I would check the fuses in the engine bay. I can't remember exactly, but one of them should be a cluster of four labled something (poorly translated) like "habical". This is the same one used to reset the ECU on the 2G DSM. If this is loose or semi-shorted it will cause the same problem.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

On 22 Mar 2006 06:50:20 -0800, against all advice, something compelled " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" , to say:

You'll spend a lot of money just swapping out parts hoping to find the one at fault. That money would be better spent with a professional mechanic, one to whom you can return if he fails to fix the problem.

Reply to
Steve Daniels