Astra Turbo Mods

Thinking of buying one but the standard 170 bhp aint exactly earth shattering - Anyone had one of these modified? What is the max output that can be gained? What sort of cost?

Reply to
Dave Courtney

Why not just buy a VXR?

Reply to
SteveH

The 170 and 190 have the same turbo and intercooler, the software is the only difference. The limit on these on the stock turbo is about 220bhp.

The 240 model is a different beast and has a steel crank and rods, and bigger turbo.

Start with the 240.

They're all Saab engines did you know?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Same reason I cant but a Porsche...Cost. Budget is about 9 to 10k

Reply to
Dave Courtney

Is it the same engine that was in the old Astra Coupe Turbo/GSi/SRiT?

Reply to
spam

Looking at his budget, it will be an old shape.

Reply to
SteveH

Must say I'm tempted to have a look at this one in the trader.

2003 VAUXHALL ASTRA 2.0i 16V GSi Turbo 3dr Hatchback, Petrol, . Blue. Trip computer, Cruise control, Side airbags, ABS, Traction control, Alarm.Tinted windows full stainless steel exhaust,dump value,full samco hoses with a chipped e.c.u running 260bhp. for any more info about the car please call. £9,495.
Reply to
Dave Courtney

Of course, so there'll be no such thing as a 170/190. Just the 197 IIRC.

Reply to
spam

Err no, completely different.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Old model then innit with the GM engine then innit.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks, useful post.

Reply to
spam

Unfotunatley, Saab are using Saabised GM engines, and then giving them back to GM for turbo models Vaux/Chevrolet/Opels. So you have cambelts to vory about. Something that Saab owners never needed to fear.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

The Z20LET from the mk4 Astra was available in 189bhp and 197bhp versions. IIRC the coupe only had the 189bhp lump.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Courtnay do a 280bhp converstion for £2405 fitted, according to their website, though I don't know which base engine they start with; the 189 or the 197...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Get the 150 diesel, chip to 180 and then you can look all smug while we're all scraping around looking for petrol in the upcoming protests and you sail past on a 50/50 diesel vegoil mix, or run it on heating oil, or something.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Which will probably give you about 230bhp.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I doubt it some how... it would leave them in a vulnerable position for legal action I imagine if that was the case.

Reply to
REMUS

Yes, you're right. I must Google in future. :(

Reply to
spam

You've obviously never bought anything from Courtenay then.

That's why they have claimed maximum power outputs and get out=20 clauses...

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Are you really the 5 foot baldy gangster bloke?

Reply to
Doki