Bah, NIP arrived this morning

Arse. My first ever NIP was for 39 in a 30. Big wide open main road (A40 through West Wycombe for those that know that area) at about midnight. Ironically enough I'd been to a party with my sister and was driving back, and she kept on pointing out every time the speed limit changed (going along the A4010 from Aylesbury) as there were a few scameras here and there, and I pointed out that I was perfectly capable of reading the speed limit signs myself, and she really didn't need to keep on pointing them out (she was also of the opinion that I was going a bit fast most of the way too), so she didn't point out that we were in a 30 limit, as I'd asked her not to, and then .

Funnily enough the speedo cable wasn't properly connected at the time (no dodgy clocking going on, this was a tatty F reg 2 litre Carlton with

160k+ on the clock!), but earlier on I'd followed someone else at a known exact speed, so as to get a rough guide of how many revs in certain gears equated to a few given speeds, so combined with erring slightly on the side of caution, I could confidently say I was doing less than 30 (or whatever the current limit was) if need be.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

This was past a school... Kids are on holiday of course, and the traffic was very light. Road is wide, and the pavements are separated from the road by grass verges on both sides. It did actually used to be a 40 until a couple of years ago, until they (presumably) decided they could start catching dangerous bastards like me...

Ho hum :(

Reply to
Abo

PACE letter it is then

Reply to
fishman

The scammers are proceeding with prosecutions using PACE letters rather than signed NIPs now.

However there as a PACE letter is self incriminatory, there is still a chance that forthcoming ECHR judgment, may go against the scammers.

Main thing to remember now though is that you are not likely to get off through sending a PACE letter, and unless you want to attend court on numerous occasions, and risk having to pay £400-500 court costs if you lose, as well as original £60 and points on licence, its probably best just to pay up.

Ken

Oh you rotter. Think of the environment / children / pavement / pinking Cinquecentos / tarmac blah blah blah. :-p

I was having a discussion on the weekend with a learner driver about speed limits. Rather, why the concept that 71 mph is dangerous and kills people but 70 isn't, is fatally flawed...

Reply to
DervMan

Unlucky :(

Reply to
magicman

What that when its at home ?

Reply to
magicman

a nip arrived! what you had a jap fighter pilot arrive this morning! :)

Reply to
Vamp

Not that I'm condoning speeding in town, but if "it's 30 for a reason" as the advert says, why is 35mph ( = 60km/h urban speed limit) in Australia ok over there? Are Aussie kids tougher than British kids then?

Reply to
Rachael

Hmm 60km/h is closer to 37 than 35 isn't it? AN dof course most of the rest of Europe accepts 31mph (50km/h) whereas in Britain we know that people who drive at 31 are evil baby killers wot are dangerous, think of the childruun etc.

Reply to
Steve Firth

He overshot his kamikazi run and hit the field out back...

Reply to
Abo

Yup. 80 is perhaps more suitable in that it might keep the precious monsters *off* the streets...

Reply to
DervMan

Is it still 60kmh? I thought it was 50. Most of their speed limits are much lower than ours.

Reply to
Doki

Ok, 37.282 and a bit mph if you must. It's comforting to know that when little Amy staggers into the road after being robbed of her mobile, stabbed in the thigh and accidently shot by her brothers' yardie mates, she stands an 80% chance of surviving being run over because the ride being used in the drive-by was doing 30.

Reply to
Rachael

Get yourself over to

They will be able to advise you, although the best advice is to stick to the speed limits. Maybe be more observant and you might not get done. If you're not watching for speed traps or cameras you can't be paying much attention.

Reply to
simon

Mate of mine tried the PACE letter. They are trying to follow it up with a court date anyway.

Reply to
Ed