bah

while travelling at my usual immodest pace down a bit of very uneven road the other day, I noticed that the disco appeared to be prone to wander all over the place. "Hmmm," I thought (OWTTE) "I wonder if the tracking's out". Took it into the local garage and sure enough, toe out by 3.5mm. wonder how that happened.

at the same time, noticed the drop arm ball joint had about lots of play in it. Bugger. spent the latter part of yesterday morning installing new joint. wonder what sod designed that arm/joint so that there's nothing of the top half shell to impinge on with a hammer'n'punch to remove it?

tried heating it, tried all sorts. in the end I heated the top shell enough to soften it and put a hacksaw through the bugger to loosen it. Then it finally came out.

However, it steers a lot nicer now, so I guess it was worth it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 1/10/04 7:25 am:

I wonder if that's what's wrong with ours at the minute then. I've noticed its not been quite right for a coule of weeks. Bruce was going to have a look when he does the brakes next week.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Have you replaced the steering damper? ISTR someone else was going to put an OME oner on - it's made an incredible difference to the way Grumble handles. Actually, with the 4.6, PAS, Autobox and OME, Grumble now drived better than any of our other Landies...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sat, 02 Oct 2004 11:50:58 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

It's had a new "standard" elcheapo from Paddock. about the only thing left to do now is to check the adjustment of the steering box, in case the play in it can be taken out. However, I reckon the 'box leaks, so it might need replacing afore the MOT anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Or wiping carefully before presentation to the tester? ;-)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

On or around Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:53:50 +0100, Richard Savage enlightened us thusly:

well, yeah, that would be the preferred option. since it works perfectly well. Might try wiping it first to see how soon it gets oily again.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Get Nige to Jet wash it while you whip his running boards off :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:48:23 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. I can jetwash it meself, at that. and I've already got running boards on both the discos.

Reply to
Austin Shackles