Derv power

right, well after laying the punto up as a long termer until i find a cheap turbo lump to drop in, I"m concentrating my efforts on the A4.

She's already chipped which made her a bit more perky but i'm refusing to draw the line there. visually complete(18" RS4 rims and a drop makes it so) thoughts turn to a bit more grunt. so time to tune the tractor.

Not wanting to go down the route of changing injectors and fitting beefy cams(1)

i'm thinking about a nice shiny stainless and a proper remap(to replace the cheap n nasty effort fitted).

anyway prattle over. what the hell will a derv be like with a stainless single box system, will i have people pointing me towards my nearest John Deere dealership or will it actually sound not to bad? i'm worried

(1) this is just a temporary cessation. normal stupidity will be resumed after the summer thinking 220-250 horse bus :)

Reply to
Rob

Drop those oversized wheels and run some lightweight ones to improve performance.

As to on topic, if you like the diesel charge noise you'll love it through a stainless steel system. They tend to whistle and grumble a little bit more. If you don't like it you probably won't like it louder. :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Sold, i feel a sicky coming on come Tuesday and a trip to the nearest powerflow franchise :)

and as for dropping the rims Dont be silly, its a bloody ton and a half of bavarian estate, It don't do corners it don't do twisties. It does do straight line motorway munching however :) and quite well i may add

Reply to
Rob

You will see some healthy gains, and faster spool up by replacing the stock downpipe from the turbo with a decent sized well flowing one.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

You will have people pointing and shouting "tosser". Get yourself along to

and have a look in the gallery of pictures. If you want a faster car just buy one! Save all the money you're about to throw away in making your current car "noisy", making you think it's faster and put it towards something unmolested. I once heard a Peco (crap quality - also trading as Cybox) on a Rover 25 diesel and it sounded like a tractor when the engine started and a road sweeper under acceleration. It did nothing for performance, neither did the £400 chip I saw fitted and was laughing at!

It really is a waste of money. You will be taking the cat off next if it has one. Don't forget you invalidate your insurance once you play about. When you crash you will also be prosecuted. If you start messing with wheel sizes your speedo will be out, mess with the shocks and springs and your whole suspension geometry will be knocked out. It will handle like a jelly. Why do you think most boy racer cars are crashed? Idiots that own them that don't know a thing about cars and magazines sponsored by companies that take them for every penny they have!

You will also need a gangster rap cd or pretend you are tim westwood - who also pretends to be something he isn't!

Reply to
mal

RS4 rims are light, too light as many found.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Got to agree with that.

Yeh don't bother with that either.

Bollocks, just declare the mods.....

See above

Only if your a gimp and can't work out rubber sizes (Wheels go bigger, tyre walls go thinner)

I dare you to drive a properly modified car and say that..... If you're near Congleton any time you're welcome to test mine out (with proper insurance).

Hehehheheh nice one :)

Reply to
Tim Anderson

We already do that to Rob anyway :)

Tbh, whilst the cause is a just one, "BarryBoys" has somehow diluted it as the mentality of the morons there is exactly what was being derided.

ShitWagon.com was good, but BarryBoys is just a bunch of chimps making fun of their own kind (i.e. idiots laughing at other idiots) - which is kind of funny in an ironic way I suppose.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Oops sorry, I DON'T agree with the chip bit.... the chip in mine gave a proven 40BHP with potential for more.

I do still think most aftermarket exhausts sound very strange on a diesel.

:)

Reply to
Tim Anderson

I guess that must happen to you a lot.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I used to have a video of a Fabia VRs with a full milltek system on and it sounds good. (Try searching on the briskoda forums, you may need to be registered). Unfortunately they don't do the downpipe and high flow cat for the A4 at the moment but a cat back system from them is £350.39 (or was in Jan) I'd recommend a Custom Code remap from JBS in Chesterfield as I have driven a 130PD that they had remapped and it had a lot of punch.

That sounds like a job for Allard I've seen 220bhp from a stage 2 kit.

Reply to
Depresion

I thought this whole NG was about modifications and modding your car? This would defeat the purpose wouldn't it, to just get a car that is always exactly the way you want it? Not that you're ever likely to find such a car or be able to afford such a car.

All diesels sound like tractors even modern brand spanking new Tdi's. If you want good fuel economy you buy a diesel. If you want a decent near silent car that runs on a decent refined fuel you buy a petrol car.

LOL, agreed on that. I thought gangster rap died in the 90's though? Or is there still some knocking about?

John

Reply to
John

I would have agreed with you up until a few months ago. Then I heard one of the Honda i-CTDI engines. The bastards don't lie in their advertising. It doesn't go "clatter clatter" it goes "whirrrrr whirrrr". An odd noise, not like any other engine I've heard.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hate something.

Change something.

Hate something, change something, make something better.

(IMHO, one of the best advertising campaigns I've seen in a long time)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Drove me up the wall. I liked "Cog" especially for the Rapper's Delight soundtrack. Err so much in fact that I got the DVD of the advert.

The current advert they can stick, gets up my nose.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Cog? Was that the one where either an engine, or a whole car or something got magically built, as if it was some sort of game of Kerplunk? Only saw that once or twice. And yeah, the current one (the choir, right?) - I heard loads of people raving about that, and then I saw it. Doesn't do a lot for me.

Out of interest, if one was to have a supremely good idea for an advert for a major car manufacturer, would it be possible to somehow protect the idea and then approach the company with the idea, and end up getting paid handsomely for said idea?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's the one with a rolling cog that travels through a dismantled car making windows go down to open it's path up or turning on the radio so that the vibrations from the speakers move something else then causing the wipers to move across the floor. Bit like the great egg race if you remember.

Reply to
Depresion

It's annoying isn't it?

Reply to
DervMan

It's irritating because they've removed one of my major objections to diseasels.

Fortunately they are still lousy restricted rev. range polluting stink boxes so I can still hate them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's a bugger, being unable to alter the laws of physics, isn't it?

Reply to
AstraVanMan