Diesel swaps-still done in UK?

Do they still put diesel engines in old cars in England?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Who are "they" ?

Most things are possible.

Even better, it's not at all difficult to find an old car for sale with a diesel engine already in it.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes. And new ones too.

Reply to
DervMan

By "old" I mean 50's, 60's 70's cars, like Jaguars and so forth, and especially ones originally manufactured as gasoline, er, "petrol", cars, and converted by switching the engine. I know there were London taxis made as diesels as well as the Peugeots and Mercedes available everywhere. By the '70s you could get even Alfa Romeo's with diesel power-although Alfa never made a diesel engine until modern (Spice Girls era....) times, if ever.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Please remember that Petrol is correct English, wheras "gas" or "gasolene" is a bastardised american version of the English language. Its just that you seem to have the "" in the wrong place.

Reply to
Burgerman

Dude, like, whatever. We run a gas car because derv wasn't available. Petrol is such a quaint English term.

Reply to
DervMan

Petrol is the shortening of petroleum spirit. Not so quaint.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Being half English (and in no way a Septic), I'm happy enough with that.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I disagree. 'gas' is already used to describe a completely seperate fuel source and could easily be taken to mean LPG or methane in the context of powering cars, so it makes good sense to use another word which avoids ambiguity. 'petrol' is established and widely understood, so it makes sense to use that.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

You may disagree, but you're blinkered from a certain (UK) perspective. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Or enlightened ?

'tis a UK group after all.....

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

No, I'm right. Thier's is ambiguous, our isn't, so ours is better. :)

You are blinkered by a certain US influence :-D

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Hehehee! Or my mind has been broadened. Once upon a time I thought that all Americans should learn to speak proper English.

Actually, that hasn't changed :-) but I'm also learning American English too. :)

Reply to
DervMan