I despair of the human race

Guy next door.

Mr sensible family man. Works in a hospital, I think he's a radiologist.

Him, his wife and their two children, so the Mazda 323 diesel was a boring but appropriate choice for someone to whom a car is chosen much like a telly or fridge.

Anyway, he has had the Mazda for 5 years, so clearly he has decided to get something new.

Mitsubishi Outlander Warrior. Black with blacked out windows.

I know it's not exactly an X5, an ML or a Range Rover, but what on earth is the point ? My Golf isn't exactly Caterham challenging in terms of ride height, but this thing tower above it.

There's two adults and two children, they don't tow a trailer or a caravan. They also live in a boring housing estate with tarmac roads. Diesel will cost nearly two quid a litre by the end of the year.

I just don't get it.

There endeth the grump.

I'm off out to burn some gas and to buy some ice cream whil the sun is still shining.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Mid-life crisis.

Reply to
Clive George

One of these?

Beefy :) I prefer the pickups hehe!

Reply to
DanB

i like the outlander, pretty good spec and the diesel is nicked off VW if i'm right. hey it could be worse the guy could have bought a scenic!

Reply to
Vamp

Why the f*ck shouldn't he. First they came for the 4x4s.....

Drive what you want and don't let the environ-mentalists stop you. If they can afford it why not. Even with depreciation it will still be worth more than their house soon.

What would you have said if they had bought a Pious and been brainwashed about saving the planet, and then gone on to try to convert you by telling you are damaging the world with your "old car".

Reply to
Elder

I quite like the Outlander, nearly bought one instead of the Xtrail.

However, that now has to go, as i have bought a pre 01 (£185/yr) proper 4x4, to be replaced with a boring 5 door hatch of some sort that is in band C or D !

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

(a) What the f*ck is it to do with you? (b) It gets decent MPG even the greens can't whine about it. (c) It's tiny.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Good move, as is buying an import.

At the moment a Mercedes S600 is winking at me, and it's pocket money money.

Reply to
Steve Firth

See, that's what I like about this group.

We all have different points of view ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Bugger all

Fair enough

Yeah, compared to an exploder or some sort of Jag or, like whatever.

Jeez, what is it with you people. I was only having a little rant.

I really don't mind, honestly. I love the fact that we all like different things - honestly, I do. It's just that I need to rant accordingly when it's something I don't want myself.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

We should all buy Priuss Prie Pr,,, What the multiple of a Prius? Then fit V8s with twin turbos to them. That way we can do the "look aren't we good" thing whilst going sideways past a school.

Reply to
Depresion

Compared to almost anything. An Exploder, despite all the propaganda is smaller than a Mondeo estate. I would guess that had chummy next door got a Mondeo estate your only rant would be about him having a boring car.

Just remind me what you drive so I can have a rant. TBH I don't mind ranting I just like to see the rant have substance rather than being a load of hypocritical knee-jerk Daily Mail whining.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yep. If it's not what I would have picked, then it's the wrong car. Can't get fairer than that.

I drive a model of car which was world finalist in the gayest and girliest car in the world competitions every year since it was first introduced in

1979.

Yes, it's a Golf Cabrio.

If this isn't enough ranting material, my Sylva is in the top ten ugliest cars of all time, just behind the Stimson Scorcher.

Nearly forgot, as the Golf is on LPG, remember to have a go at me for being a half baked psuedo environ-mentalist and a tight wad into the bargain.

(To be fair, don't know if I've left you much here at all, I think that pretty much sums it up.)

If it helps at all, I used to have a Fiat Strada, there's plenty mileage in that.

All the best

John F -reserving the right to be fickle about all matters automotive since the mid 1960s.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Consider yourself ranted at. If someone were to compile a list of cars I wouldn't own even if there was no choice, you've just provided the first three entries.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Why, thank you.

My work here is done.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

V8 - not yet. Turbo has been done

Tim S Kemp

The Prius is quite capable of killing the planet without your help; look at the whole-life environmental impact of the vehicle.

People can choose whatever they like, it's true, but I think that people are getting a bit stupid on the whole "excessively large" car thing; that includes vehicles like the Modus.

One thing that surprised me about the Ignis was that it's actually quite usefully big inside and has relatively slim pillars for a modern car. I expect that's why it's so cheap and not that popular.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Friend of mine happily tows a box trailer with a Radical Clubsport in it with an Ignis. Quite a handy little thing really.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I missed a cheap towbar on eBay (£20!), and apparently my car could have had it. Would have been useful for taking stuff to the dump, too :( I wasn't sure if a little 1.5 Ignis Sport could handle towing much; the

4grip model is probably better suited.

I'm resigned to running just the Ignis until the house sells (the MR2 is for sale now, need to do a proper advert for it) and I get my C6, so it's getting my plate on it. If I find another cheap towbar, I'm snapping it up!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

That makes sense, the car in question is a 4wd version.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle