I know it is so far outside my price range.....

And one or two regs will say "How foooking much?" But

NeedforSwede2

I saw one of those last week. The engine sounded fabulous.

Reply to
fishman

You might want to look at these. Stealth, GTi-6 engine (albeit without the sixth ratio) rarer and cheaper to buy and less likely to be thrashed by the Pug. And by all accounts, pretty much as good handling. My parents have a cooking model 1.6 estate and that handles! I was really tempted before I got the TI. Oh and they're pretty economical on a run too.

fishman

er... what car were you looking at?! I saw a Porsche 928, but maybe it would look like a Xsara if you kind of squint...

Nick

Reply to
NickD

I just love the burgundy/oxblood colour. And yes they do sound very dribbly when you hear one approach.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I have no idea what I'll end up with. Probably something totally sensible in one aspect, but completly bonkers in another (like a Smart car for motorway work).

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

No, it's not out of your price range. You just don't want it bad enough :)

I am a bit of a fan of the 928: got a trackcar based on a 928 (1981 vintage), a new trackcar based on a S4 (1990) is under construction and I've got an perfect

1995 GTS, black in and out.

The 928 is a very fine car but as always: if the 928 GTS had 500 HP it would even be nicer (and better than the actual BMW6 of Benz AMG) but for a 1995 car the GTS is still very,very good.

Brussels-Munich-run (± 800 km) is done without a fuss in less than 5 Hr. At 250 kph (max done is about 280 Kph) it hummes nicely, living at the pace where it's designed for.

The only annoying thing about the 928 is oil consumption: it uses, eats or make dissappear about 1-2 liter / 1000 km.

There are 911 which are faster but not a lot. At the limit, be it speed or roadholding, a 911 needs total concentration, the 928 is much more relaxed.

Some Porsche-drivers don't view the 928 (or 944/968-line) as the real thing but at Spa some had to stand corrected. The 928 at the track is a real Porsche: fuel-appetit 50 l/100 km to prove it.

Get one or no : get more than one ;-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I will one day. I just really loved the colour and the condition in the pictures of that=20 one.

Budget again is going to be upto =A33000 GBP, the less I spend the better,= =20 and only once I have sold the Saab convertible. Thing is, I generally=20 love driving the convertible.

I doubt I could buy a decent enough 928 for that, although I might get a=20 half decent 944 2.5 or a ropey 944 2.7. But I don't want a money pit so=20 I guess that means wait until I can afford the =A37-8k 928 then.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Absolutely do get it. I love 928s, they are great.

And as a bonus, you could drive it in your undies, pretending to be Tom cruise and get your missus to dress up as Rebecca DeMornay. OK, maybe not.

Reply to
conkersack

Time for you to watch some topgear re-runs my son.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

That only happens if you only spend my usual budget on a supercar. If you spend proper money (and that is proper money and therfore out of my budget) it will be a good one.

Damn it is stunning.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Maybe. But it is a 20 year old car. Think what was in fashion when it was made. A lot of water has been under the bridge since then. It'll drink like a fish and break down a lot more than a modern car. And people like me will say it isn't a real Porsche because the engine is in the wrong spot.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

HFM for a "Porsche" with the engine in the wrong place and the wrong layout?

Reply to
Depresion

Does seem to be a bit on the steep side for a 20 year old 928. It would have to be in showroom condition to be worth the asking.

Reply to
SteveH